1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Murphy Brown - “I (Don’t) Heart Huckabee” - S01E02 - OAD 10/04/2018

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by ScubaCat, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Oct 4, 2018 #1 of 30
    ScubaCat

ScubaCat Shades of Blue......

Jun 26, 2003
    N.E. GA
    Still a pretty uneven episode but it did have a few nice moments.

Mikeguy likes this.
  2. Oct 5, 2018 #2 of 30
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I thought it more captured the old series than the first.

3. Oct 5, 2018 #3 of 30
    That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    They made it sound like the audience thought that Sarah Huckabee Sanders was really there, at least for the first clip where the real Huckabee Sanders was shown. Note that both the actress who did her voice and the actress who stood in for her and was shown from the back were both credited.

4. Oct 5, 2018 #4 of 30
    TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Or it was just a reaction that they used the real Sanders rather than flaking out.

Next press briefing may be interesting.

Mikeguy likes this.
  5. Oct 5, 2018 #5 of 30
    Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I also thought this episode was WAYYYYY better than the first one especially as far as performances go. Maybe they just had to get the first episode jitters out of the way...

6. Oct 6, 2018 #6 of 30
    stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    Way too political for me and too one-sided. I thought the son was going to be a conservative who balanced it out, but I guess not. I'm done. :(

7. Oct 6, 2018 #7 of 30
    TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Murphy Brown? balanced? Never was. Murphy has lots of come uplands but not debate.

mattack, Dargon and tim1724 like this.
  8. Oct 6, 2018 #8 of 30
    ct1

ct1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jun 27, 2003
    Maryland
    Murphy Brown (the show, and the character) often mock/parody the left as well...

9. Oct 6, 2018 #9 of 30
    TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Through self examination. Not by having a conservative character as a regular.

10. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    Lots of people criticize Last Man Standing for being partisan, but he has his liberal son in law and neighbor to present the other side. I watched Murphy Brown back in the day, but I don't remember much about it, including her son. Just not my show, I guess.

11. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    The only people who point out that last man standing has a conservative bent were those who tried to claim it was cancelled due to its conservative bent. Outside of those who tried to make the cancellation an agenda, it is barely even spoken of. At all.

sharkster likes this.
  12. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Conservative Jerry Gold (Jay Thomas) was recurring but yes, Murphy Brown has always slanted Left unabashedly.
    I'm shocked that this is even a question if you watched the show during it's original run.

tim1724 likes this.
  13. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Who criticized Last Man Standing for being partisan?
    I never saw that.

What I did see was a bunch of outraged people claiming that it was cancelled due to Tim Allen's political views, which was utter nonsense.

14. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Exactly. I am liberal but I love Last Man Standing. I laugh along with his conservative jokes as most are good natured and if they are crafted well, they can still be funny.

There are few conservative humor shows. I’m not really sure why it ant be a coincidence. Of course, commentary humor like late night monologues and news humor shows aren’t really that much left for right for the most part (there are exceptions). They comment on the absurdities of the day. And they have fertile territory. SNL made fun of Democrats in the past. Right now the comedy gold is too easy to turn down. Make America Funny Again.

markz likes this.
  15. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I thought the acting again was pretty poor. Candace Bergan sounds like she's reading her lines from a teleprompter. I know they are trying hard to recapture the magic from the original, but for now, it's just not doing it for me. But given it's pedigree, I'll be sticking with it.

As for politics, it always slanted left, and she had her foils on the right, and there were times were her bent was too far and they made her look bad. I get that. I too though, thought her son was going to be a conservative, which to me, would have been funnier. But they are making him the sane liberal at the Wolf network, which doesn't work as well. I used to watch LMS, but it just got unfunny. Had nothing to do with politics. It's a show that appeals to the Blue Collar types, just like Home Improvement did, and dozens of shows before that. But I never felt it was a political show. In fact, both LMS and Home Improvement were more about family matters than about politics.

16. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I found Candice Bergen that way in the original as well. I think that's the way she is (either the character, or Candice Bergen).

17. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    You might be right, and maybe I just didn't notice it back then. I definitely do now. She's very wooden and the way she's delivering her lines has very little emotion. And it could be that the other actors are kind of out of practice and are not helping.

18. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    When I said something like that I got told how many emmys she won. The pilot seemed more natural. But now I think she is playing Murphy who was wooden because Bergen was a bad actress back then. Watch her movie work and you see her growing as an actress. She is pretty good overall now.

Mikeguy likes this.
  19. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I keep hoping, each week, that it settles in--it seemed to a bit more with the 2nd episode. I still find the reboot of "Will and Grace" to be slightly stiffer than the original (it probably doesn't help that the original is showing in reruns here, which I sometimes will watch).

20. Maui

Maui Major Lee Oblivious

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    I watched the second episode. I still think it is pretty weak. And you know the cast is out of practice when the best actor in the episode was the one who played the assistant.