Murdoch earmarks $1 billion for Directv internet business

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by lee espinoza, Jan 11, 2006.

1. lee espinoza

lee espinoza some guy

Aug 21, 2002
    San Antonio,TX
    News Corp chairman & CEO Rupert Murdoch has said the group's satellite platform Directv might spend up to $1 billion to enter the high-speed Internet business.

Speaking at a Citigroup investors conference, Murdoch said Directv and News Corp. were exploring possible partnerships to offer the satellite platform's subscribers high-speed Internet access as part of a bundled package.

"You'll be hearing from us within two months on a very clear plan for what will happen, and it's not as expensive as you might think," Murdoch has been quoted in a Bloomberg report as saying.

Speaking about the plans to deliver content online and on other platforms, Murdoch said, "Big companies like ours, big industries with fixed business models, have to change. And we're preparing ourselves for that."

In the US, Cable giants Comcast and Time Warner Cable already offer their service with high-speed Internet access. News Corp. ramped up its internet business in 2005 with several acquisitions, including that of the social network portal MySpace.com.

http://www.indiantelevision.com/headlines/y2k6/jan/jan122.htm

2. tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    I am not sure that Murdoch is really planning what I said I thought he was planning a couple of months ago, but I was waving my arms about the large number of ISP Broadband purchases he was making and I thought that some of it was Murdoch hedging his bet that Broadband OnDemand video delivery was going to ultimately take over the world. And that DirecTV could never compete in that marketplace, because they don't and never will have the bandwidth to compete.

Only time will tell.

3. kevostl

kevostl Irish-Im!

Dec 29, 2001
    Highland IL
    DirecTv use to be in the DSL business - I had Directvinternet when I first got DSL about 4 years ago. Was nice.

4. lee espinoza

lee espinoza some guy

Aug 21, 2002
    San Antonio,TX
    How was the speed?

5. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    DirecTVDSL started life as Telocity which went TU and DirecTV took over.

It didn't match their current business model and they simply shut it down leaving customers (myself included) scrambling for alternatives. It was basic 1500/256 service for $49.95 + tax.

6. doconeill

doconeill Unix Guru

Dec 13, 2002
    West of Boston
    You got that high a speed? All I could get was the lowest speed that compared to Verizon's local offering - 640/90 or something like that. It did get improved to 768/128 when Verizon updated the line cards in the CO.

I didn't think Telocity went TU - I thought DirecTV simply bought them. Then when they decided to drop the business, they did at least work with Verizon to switch over somewhat seamlessly.

With Telocity/DTVI, at least I got a static IP - not so with Verizon (at least not without paying something like $100). And Verizon blocks inbound port 80 - no web servers (at least not at the port).

I did get a few rounds of free speed upgrades, most recently to 3k/768, but now I've switched to FIOS, where the slowest they offer is 5k/2k.

7. texas arsenal

texas arsenal FCDallas.net

Feb 3, 2005
    Frisco TX
    I would love to go with Dtv for high speed internet (not direcway). I use Comcast now, its smoking fast but blazin high.

8. rigs49

rigs49 Member

Mar 30, 2005
    What's the diference between DirecWay and Cable High speed internet? :confused:

9. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    When I had Telocity -> DirecTV it was 756/756

I miss have the 756 upstream... I was able to host my own services then.

DirectWay... Unless you spend some serious money and have a very large dish (not allowed in most residential installations), it is a one way stream, neading a phone line to send requests back up...

10. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    One sucks and one doesn't... lol... DirecWay is only good for someone who lives in the boonies and is desperate for something faster than dial-up. It has terrible latency meaning you cannnot use it for any internet games. It's only about 768 on the dowload side, meaning its slower than most standard DSL setups.

I really don't see the need for another internet provider... I already have 2 options (cable/DSL) and both are quite good.

11. tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    Actually Direcway has upgraded to all two-way dishes and services sometime ago, and they use this wicked looking wide narrow dish, see link below.

DirecWay Home

SPEED INFO:

With the DIRECWAY Home service plan, you may enjoy download speeds up to 700Kbps, with typical speeds of about 500Kbps to 600Kbps during peak times. Upload speeds, which are capable of reaching 128Kbps, are typically 70Kbps to 80Kbps during peak hours.

With the DIRECWAY Professional plan, connect your home office to the Internet with maximum download speeds of up to 1.0Mbps, with typical speeds about 650Kbps to 750Kbps during peak times. Upload speeds, which are capable of reaching 200Kbps, are typically 100Kbps to 125Kbps during peak hours.

Additional Edit:

The monthly prices are no longer as high as they use to be, and for someone who has no other choice, they are not bad. I did notice that the installation and equipment purchase costs are not for the faint of heart.

DirecWay Pricing

12. tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    I agree, DirecWay is the mainly used by very remote users, who either want something faster than a modem connection or if their phone service sucks or is non-existent, then it maybe their only option. I my case, my base cable has increased over the years since I first installed it in 1998 from 2M/256K to 6M/1.5M, which has been great, and many years ago (2000) they installed FTTC (Fiber To The Curb).

13. tivolocity

tivolocity Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I looked into Directway several years ago when my broadband options were basically nonexistent. The issue I had was that it really didn't support VPN. Any future Directv broadband service/bundle would have to resolve that issue.

14. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    I had Phoenix dsl which was purchased by Directv dsl. They promptly canceled the dsl service and tried to give us dial up. To them its all the same. This is being done by the same brain trust that dropped TiVo in favor of developing their own DVR.

15. morgantown

morgantown DTV + Tvio = ;-)

Mar 29, 2005
    Wild...
    I'm thinking that they will have a broad spectum of means (i.e., DSL, tradional dial up, and something new with DirectWay) for connectivity. One story on MarketWatch also mentioned Wi-Max. Given the cable companies obviously would not want to help DTV and the phone providers are selling their own brand of TV service something including Wi-Max is not that far of a stretch for relatively highly populated areas.

Give 'em a chance and see what they actually bring to the plate. I really don't see the NDS boxes "requirement" of a phone line sticking if they can bundle your ISP and video (not to mention VoIP). Could be interesting, I'll just wait and see I guess...

16. Kanyon71

Kanyon71 New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Tampa Fl
    It's actually not an NDS box, it's a Humax built box running a DirecTV built DVR software platform. Also there is no requirement for a phone line on the R15 actually most of the CSR's will tell you that one isn't needed when you activate it. The only real requirement is for PPV (unless you order online) and because it's inthe DiercTV contract for every receiver.

17. morgantown

Mar 29, 2005
    Wild...
    There is not much of a debate that NDS' finger prints are all over the software in the DTV DVR boxes. Just one big happy corporate family right? I'd say the refer to "DirecTV software" for reasons of liability alone :eek: .

The reason for the phone line "requirement" statement refers to the wildly varying answers we all get from DTV CSR's statements about the boxes, when referring to NFLST, PPV, and a variety of other reasons, and why DTV wants service locations tied (in a perfect world for them at least) to a land line. As you say it is in the contract for every receiver. Let's all hope that could change with new services, etc. going forward.

But, the point of the thread is about what they will be doing as far a broadband. Then I took the next step of mentioning a thought on how it could effect service on a broader range, going forward. :D

18. DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer Snr. Member/Retailer

Nov 13, 2002
    Scarsdale, NY
    The DIRECTV Group sold its remaining 50% ownership of Hughes Network Systems and all of its interest in DIRECWAY went with HNS. On 01-03-06 SkyTerra Communications took over the remaining 1/2 ownership of HNS.

DIRECTV has been working on developing other broadband options very seriously for the past six months.

-Robert

19. Kanyon71

Kanyon71 New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Tampa Fl
    Will be interesting to see what they come up with, they have to do something to compete with the cable industry with VOD and Internet content.

As for the NDS part I was just going on what ebonovic said, he stated that DirecTV decided to completely redo the DVR from NDS because they had so many issues that where not getting fixed (if I got this wrong he will correct me i'm sure) :)

20. morgantown

Mar 29, 2005
    Wild...
    Don't get me wrong about the NDS/DireTV DVR software thing as I too read ebovonic's comment (and I do not doubt him). I'm more interested in how this deal "could" make DTV a better provider over the long haul. A guy can dream, cant he? :up:

Too bad about DirectWay though (Robert). They could have played a part in those remote areas where it will be difficult for DirecTV to penetrate, other than by dial-up. Still too darned expensive for me, with DSL.

I am just curious how it will all pan out. Let's hope for the better cause at least for me, cable is still a bad deal where I happen to live. I'd really hate to have to leave DTV as things stand today. ;)