Multiswitch question

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by CurtE, Jan 26, 2006.

1. CurtE

CurtE New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    SC
    I currently have the phase-III dish with the 4 outputs directly feeding two standard (1-input) receivers and a SAT-60 Dtivo (using 2 feeds). I'm going to add the HR-10 250 - so I need two more outputs for a total of six. I know using a cascadable 4x8 multiswitch will work.

My question - can I use two of the four outputs to feed a 2x4 multiswitch (it's one that I have from an install at my old house)? I would use the four outputs from the 2x4 to feed the standard receivers and the SAT-60. I would use the two "direct" outputs from the dish for the HR-10 250? The HR-10 would be fed by the built in multiswitch that should allow it to see the 101 and 119 sats?

I do not have the HR-10 yet; however, I tested the other receivers with the described setup...all appeared OK - I believe because my four current receivers only "look" at the 101 sat? I flipped though all of the channels (100's, 200's, 500's, locals) and no problems on either receiver. Only issue was when I tuned the SAT-60 to channel 492/493 (test channel for 119 sat) I would loose the signal on the other receivers...once I changed back to another channel all would be okay.

Call me cheap...it's probably not "worth" all of this to save $100+/- on a 4x8 multiswitch! I know the D* install would include the 4x8. I'd rather install myself and pick up the HR-10 at Circuit City. I'm trying to use the fact that no install is needed as leverage for more credits on the HR-10 "deal"...so far they've "given" me a free install, several programming credits and the $200 instant rebate - but charging $50 for their OTA.

BTW, I will not need to diplex my OTA signal...I have 3 coax to all my tv locations from my central distribution point. Also, have plenty of coax runs (and conduit) from the 3rd floor and attic to the basement. I plan on putting the OTA in the attic.

Sorry for the long post...Thanks in advance!

2. duanej

duanej New Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Yep, that will work. It's what I do. The boxes on the multiswitch will only see the sats at 101. Just rerun the guided setup on those boxes and select the single sat round dish.

3. SpankyInChicago

SpankyInChicago New Member

May 13, 2005
    I think as long as you don't mind only seeing the 101 sat on the units connected to your 2x4 multiswitch that it will work fine.

4. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    While it is correct that what you want to do will work, you might want to check out e-bay for some great deals on 4x8 "D* approved" switches. I've bought a couple for less than $20 each delivered. :)