Multiswitch Price

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by pianoboy000, Apr 2, 2006.

1. pianoboy000

pianoboy000 lovin' life

Apr 20, 2005
    UWS Manhattan
    I'm looking on Ebay for a multi-switch to incorporate into my directv system. What would you guys think would be a good price for one?

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
  3. ipfreely

ipfreely New Member

Sep 16, 2005
    Depends a lot on what you are looking for. Passive/active. High quality, average quality.

4. John T Smith

John T Smith New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Vancouver WA
    Go here http://www.suburban-elect.com/

Enter multiswitch in the search window... lots of choices

Getting ready for new house we start building in May, I bought a Spaun 2x12

Will only have DirecTv boxes in 4 places (3 Tivo 1 Regular) but will have dual coax lines going to 6 rooms "just in case" wife wants to move one of the boxes

5. marcello696

marcello696 New Member

Jun 18, 2004
    Temecula, CA
    I have a 4X8 multiswitch that I will give you for free (just pay for shipping). PM me if you are interested.

6. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    You do realize with the 2x12 multiswitch you will only be able to receive the 101 satellite. Depending on where the house is you may not be able to get your locals from DirecTV. Also most of the High Def channels are not on the 101 satellite. It would also be cheaper to use two cascadable 4x8 (5x8) multiswitches

To receive the 101, 110, 119 satellites you will need to use 4x? (5x?) multiswitches. Using two 4x8 (5x8) multiswitches... For 12 outputs you would connect the four outputs from your dish to the first multiswitch and then connect four outputs of the first multiswitch to the second multiswitch. 16 outputs can be done using high frequency splitters on the inputs. I can explain that another time if you need that.

If you need the 72.5 degree or 95 degree satellies you will need 6x? multiswitches. I have not needed that yet so I do not have any advice.

If you really only need the 101 satellite you can pick up a 3x8 multiswitch for around $30.00 and a 3x4 for around $20. You would just feed the two satellite outputs to the 3x8 multiswitch and feed two of the outputs to the 3x4.

Since you are building a new house try to have a centralized wiring closet. Run your satellite feeds to the centralized wiring closet and then run the lines from the centralized wiring closest to the receivers.

7. John T Smith

John T Smith New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Vancouver WA
    Yes to all that... and what I did not say (original question was about prices, so I posted a link) is that we sold a house in Washougal WA last fall, and start building in May in Vancouver WA, with about 30 miles between

My previous DirecTv was on the 18" round dish (have already purchased a 24" dish to reduce the "few" days of rain/snow fade here to even fewer) with the 2 lines from the dual LNB going to a 3x4 multiswitch

I never used the 3rd, local channel, input on the multiswitch since locals are available via DirecTv... and at MUCH better reception quality compared to the local antenna that I did try for about 10 seconds and then dropped in favor of the small monthly $$ to DirecTv

The rear projection TV I had before, and the one I will buy in a few months (left old one in the house, in the custom made cabinet) both include an automatic signal "upgrade" chip so the standard def signal will be "about" 2/3 of a high def signal... without any additional $$ for a high def receiver

I still have 3 DirecTivo and 1 regular box (buyer uses a package of Comcast cable Tv and Internet, so I kept all boxes) and will use those in the new house

Yes, I will have a central wiring cabinet for the multiswitch AND for the telephone lines