Multiswitch Help

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by DVLDAWG, Sep 21, 2007.

1. DVLDAWG

DVLDAWG New Member

Sep 21, 2007
    Maryland
    Hey guys - this is my first post, but I've been lurking and reading for a while now. I'm sure this question has been beat to death, but when I did a search for multi switches, I got 33 pages or results, and after 6 pages didn't see anything really that would answer my question.

I am helping a buddy of mine setup a home theater room in his new house (he's not very electronically inclined), and he want to setup two Tivo boxes in the same room, but only has 2 cables running to the room.

He has a directtv oval dish with 4 lines out - I haven't looked yet, but I don't believe that he has a multi switch other than the built-in one.

My question is - can he buy a multi switch to connect directly to the switch on the dish using all 4 lines, then get another multi switch to take the 2 lines in his theater room, and break those out to 4 lines? It would be next to impossible for me and him to cleanly run new cables to the room, and he doesn't want to have someone come out to do it.

I understand the basics of how it works, but don't know enough details to know if what he wants done is possible.

Thanks for any help!!!

Mark

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    You can do as you describe, however the receivers connected to the second 2x4 switch will only be able to get the 101 satellite. But then, maybe that doesn't matter.