multiple TV outs

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by Marzbar, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Jan 1, 2012 #1 of 20
    Marzbar

Marzbar TiVo LoVeR

Jan 16, 2002
    Hi

I have an old 15" LCD TV in the kitchen which has always been connected to the TiVo just via RF - for the size of the screen that was fine.

However my better half has persuaded me that we should get a third TV for the dining area and the best option was a 32" - now I'm pretty sure that using RF will look pretty poor on something that size, as well as not passing stereo.

I could splash out on a scart splitter with amp (about 30 quid from Farnell) but something in the back of my mind said it's possible to get svideo-out from the VCR SCART; have I misremembered?

If not is there a better way of getting two quality pictures from the TiVo?

Ta

Geoff

2. Jan 1, 2012 #2 of 20
    TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Do p need two or three outputs?

3. Jan 1, 2012 #3 of 20
    SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I have a tivoHD and feed the TV by way of my receiver thru the hdmi and feed a dvd recorder from the RCA jacks for R/L audio and video.

4. Jan 1, 2012 #4 of 20
    drgeoff

drgeoff Member

Nov 10, 2005
    I have doubts. As far as I can tell from consulting the setup guide for a Sony Series 1 the US TiVos, although they had two sets of composite video and stereo audio phono socket outputs (for TV/VCR/amp) had only 1 S-video out socket (intended for the TV). (They did not have any RGB or component connections.)

The UK Thomson Tivos were electrically very similar to US S1s. SCART sockets replaced all the video/audio connectors except for a pair of stereo out phonos. The input and output ICs did have a lot of flexibility and could be programmed via their I2C buses to deliver composite and RGB instead of composite and S-video

However the clicher may come from SCART pinning - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART. We know that the UK S1 accepts RGB from an external device into the VCR SCART. When a SCART socket is used to output S-video, the chrominance signal output is conventionally on pin 7. But pin 7 is also Blue input for RGB use. Can the Tivo's chippery and PCB tracking cater for that? I don't know :(.

5. Jan 1, 2012 #5 of 20
    drgeoff

drgeoff Member

Nov 10, 2005
    This is irrelevant in the context of the original UK (Thomson) TiVo which have 3 SCART Sockets (out to TV, in from STB and in/out for VCR). HDMI did not exist when these TiVos were manufactured.

6. Jan 1, 2012 #6 of 20
    drgeoff

drgeoff Member

Nov 10, 2005
    My interpretation is that he wants three:

1. The TiVo's TV SCART feeding his main TV.
    2. The RFmodulator feeding the kitchen set.
    3. Another output for the recently added TV in the dining area. He can get composite video and stereo audio from the VCR SCART but would like better than composite video.

7. Jan 1, 2012 #7 of 20
    TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I thought that too, but that isn't what he actually says.

8. Jan 2, 2012 #8 of 20
    mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
  9. Jan 2, 2012 #9 of 20
    drgeoff

drgeoff Member

Nov 10, 2005
    Yes, I can believe it is possible to get component from the TV SCART but my understanding is that the OP is already using RGB from that for his first TV and wants another output better than composite from the VCR SCART for a third TV.

10. AMc

AMc Active Member

Mar 22, 2002
    East of England
    As you said you want two quality pictures - I've been using a B-Tech Quintro+ to get RGB SCART from several devices to both a TV and projector simultaneously. This is (to my eyes) perfect. If you can find one on ebay etc. then this is a great option but if you only want Tivo to two screens then it may be overkill.

You can't get S-video out of the VCR SCART it's composite OUT only. The TV SCART on a UK Thomson won't do S-video out of the box either.

11. katman

katman New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    East Anglia
    This is what you need.

http://www.js-technology.com/store/product.php?id_product=17

Takes the RGB output from Tivo and generates an S-video output but also feeds the RGB out as well so you can feed your main TV with RGB and another TV with S-video.

I have been using one for several years and they are superb.

12. drgeoff

drgeoff Member

Nov 10, 2005
    Surely the OP's original fall-back of a £30-ish RGB splitter-amp is £40 cheaper and better quality.

13. katman

katman New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    East Anglia
    Agreed. Missed that bit and was commenting on the requirement for an S-video signal.

14. Marzbar

Marzbar TiVo LoVeR

Jan 16, 2002
    Thanks everyone for the responses. Yes, that's a much clearer way of writing what I blathered on about.

So is the consensus that without additional hardware the UK S1 TiVo will output composite and RGB and that's it?

I suppose I could try composite and see if that comes out any better than the RF, which (as I suspected it would be) is utterly awful.

Ta

15. drgeoff

drgeoff Member

Nov 10, 2005
    Yes. With some software hacks you might get S-video or component out of the TV SCART and maybe S-Video or component into the Aux SCART, but no-one so far thinks you can get other than composite out of the VCR SCART.

16. Marzbar

Marzbar TiVo LoVeR

Jan 16, 2002
    Can I take SVideo and RGB out of the TV SCART? That would be good enough, I think - I can easily split the two signals from the one connector (I think I even have an inline SCART adaptor to extract SVideo already!).

And the SVideo out reusing the "R up" and "B up" pins wouldn't be a problem on the TV SCART, since there's no "up" to conflict.

17. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I very much doubt it.

18. drgeoff

drgeoff Member

Nov 10, 2005
    Don't know how you come to that conclusion. SCART pin 15 is either Red or S-Video Chrominance out to the TV ("up"). It can't be both at the same time.

19. Marzbar

Marzbar TiVo LoVeR

Jan 16, 2002
    Duh. That's me getting confused. It's easily done.

20. katman

katman New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    East Anglia
    NO. S-Video isnt available from the TV Scart but using the converter I posted a link to you CAN feed RGB to your main TV and S-Video to your second TV.