Multiple TiVos

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by browellm, Jul 30, 2011.

1. browellm

browellm New Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Before I get sucked into the labyrinth that is Virgin pricing perhaps you guys can advise me on the costs associated with putting in two Tivos.

Originally I was going to have a 1TB TiVo installed and ask Virgin to move my existing V+ HD box to another room. I'm thinking the costs would be:
    £99 TiVo + £3/m + £40 V+ move + £5.60/m multi-room

But then I started thinking that two TiVos would be a more sensible deal, especially with the hints about interoperability mentioned by Neil Birkett recently. So what would the costs be here?

I'm thinking: £99 TiVo + £3/m + £50 smaller TiVo + another £3?? + more multi room fees??

2. sjp

sjp Active Member

Oct 22, 2001
    London, UK
    word is that you're only supposed to pay 1 x £3 charge but here's folks reporting 2 charges over on the VMTivo forum, mods have stated that there should be just the one.

as to the rest of it, haven't a scooby

3. smokie

smokie New Member

Dec 27, 2002
    I think you have to call them and see what you can negotiate. I had TiVo plus 3 V+. Additional boxes were (IIRC) £15 pm but with "rebate" of £8.50 a month per. Seems that loyal customers can usually get quite a chunk off the bill.

4. dannylau

dannylau New Member

Jun 20, 2011
    The cost is £3 per month no matter how many tivo's you have, having two would give you the potential to record 6 shows at once and if the streaming between tivo's (& PC's ) goes live you'll have quite a powerful set up, you would probably need to connect both tivo's to your home network for it to do this BTW.

5. browellm

browellm New Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Thanks for the input so far. Hopefully Cyril will be along shortly with the definitive view :D

6. sjp

sjp Active Member

Oct 22, 2001
    London, UK
    given that 2 vtivi can't live in the same room I think Cyril spends more time wandering between rooms than he did with many more S1's in the same room. i hope he wears slippers so the carpet son't suffer too much :)

7. tankstage

tankstage Member

Jan 8, 2005
    Earl...
    Well, with a little technology, I have two VMTiVo's in my AV "cupboard".
    Using the KIRA modules and an IRCM from Keene electronics, I can control either TiVo from any room with a KIRA module in it with my Harmony remotes. The TiVo's feed into a HDMI matrix and then onto the rooms.
    It's not the cheapest method, and it took a little time to organise, but got there eventually.
    (Still keep asking for the old remote programming method on every forum that asks for feedback though!)

8. sjp

sjp Active Member

Oct 22, 2001
    London, UK
    shame they didn't keep with the multiple tivo remote addresses, kudos for finding a way round it.

9. cyril

cyril Active Member

Sep 5, 2001
    London UK
    Don't worry, I have had URC MRF remotes due to having had multiple SkyHD boxes in the same room so multiple Virgin TiVos are not a problem.

In fact my AV cupboards are so tall you can avoid IR interference by putting one unit on the top and one at the top! So you can have 4 in one room even without assignable RF to IR equipment, assuming you have a room at least 2.2 m high and 2.2m wide.

If your room is smaller than that you are likely to get IR signals reaching more than one box.