Multiple TiVo Mini issues resolved by downgrading from Hydra

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by alien1979, Apr 25, 2020.

1. alien1979

alien1979 New Member

Apr 25, 2020

Advertisements

Hello, everyone. This is my first post.

I just want to let you know that I had given up on my TiVo Minis after upgrading to Hydra a while back. In fact, they were in storage in the attic.

This week, I downgraded my Roamio OTA and 3 Minis to TE3, and what a difference it made. Prior to the downgrade, the Minis because unresponsive and two of them were basically dead. After a lot of hassle, I got everything downgraded to TE3 and all is well now.

Doing this downgrade has renewed my interest in using the TiVo system I invested in back in 2015. I regret doing the upgrade in the first place.

The Roamio ran fine for the most part with Hydra, but the Minis just did not work well with it.

FWIW.

Sean

snerd and Mikeguy like this.
  2. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    What a surprise. Thanks for the feedback, my V1 Minis and Roamio Plus continue to run TE3 flawlessly and will always do so until I dump Comcast.

3. chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    What is your current posture with Comcast? I assume that your plan has transitioned to Simple & Easy by now (as has my residential account, whereas our HOA's bulk account is still grandfathered on a Digital Starter sub), but are you using or tempted to use any of the X1 devices in addition to your TiVo gear?

If not for the $9.95 ADO fee that my CableCARD would incur, I think I would experiment with an Xi6 just to get a feel for its relative utility and to have access to some of the features (such as the Peacock app) that are excluded from non-X1 systems at present.

4. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    Is the Xi6 what they're sending to Internet only subscribers to access Peacock? I've an XG1V4 and it still mentions Peacock - Soon!

5. chiguy50

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA

Advertisements

I suppose it depends on what's in the inventory in your area, but the Xi6 (along with the XG1v4 DVR) is the only Comcast STB I know of that allows 4K streaming.

WVZR1 likes this.
  6. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    My current DP Preferred + Blast HSI deal expires in December and I will most likely re-up with the current S&E deal then. Have no plans to get their DVR as long as the Roamio keeps getting guide data, because I don't see Comcast moving away from QAM anytime soon. I also have Rokus and the LG WebOS TV apps so don't see a need for any of the extra X1 stuff.

YTTV is the fallback if Comcast actually does start moving QAM channels to IP. It's not any cheaper than S&E with discounts factored in.

7. chiguy50

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Then, assuming that your package deal is a 12-month arrangement, it sounds as if you just got in under the wire before the changeover to Simple & Easy in January.

I hope that you are right about the longevity of Comcast on QAM, but the switch to IPTV is already in progress if only incrementally; at some point, whether in two years or more, we will be forced to adapt for better or for worse.

You and I are essentially in the same boat in that I would like to keep relying on my Roamio Pro for CTV reception/recording as long as the DVR itself holds out--and assuming nothing better comes along in the meanwhile. I have long since stopped using TiVo for streaming apps and have a plethora of those devices in my arsenal. But the combination of Roamio/Mini has been a very satisfying setup for my use case.

YTTV does appear to be a viable alternative, but my hope is that something even better will come along by the time that I need to make the change.

8. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Yeah I'm sure that QAM will go away but Comcast has made no substantial moves of channels to IP-only, so we'll see. From what I've seen they've only added a few new ones as IP, nothing major has been deleted from QAM.

9. chiguy50

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    You are correct as far as my personal experience is concerned. But in other geographical areas there are reports of new channels being added via IP only, at least for HD reception. And some foreign channels have apparently been switched over to IP exclusively. I suspect that this trend will continue incrementally until QAM becomes either obsolete or an unacceptable methodology for viewers who want the full channel offering and/or something better than SD.

BTW, since we are discussing IP--and just for informational purposes--, I discovered yesterday that Comcast has recently (perhaps as of May 1?) tweaked the S&E offerings for HSI. If you commit to a 12-month agreement, Extreme (300Mbps) is now the same effective price as Blast! (200Mbps) after discounts. The full retail price of the two service tiers is $93 and $83, respectively, but Extreme now qualifies for a higher promotional discount of $33 vs. the $23 promo discount for Blast!, which makes the final price for each (assuming a $10 discount for auto bill pay and paperless billing) the same $50.00.

It's even more interesting regarding the next two speed tiers, Extreme Pro (600Mbps) and Gigabit (1000Mbps). Each qualifies for the new higher $33 promo discount, bringing the end price down to $60 for Extreme Pro and $70 for Gigabit. But the agreement is for 24 months, which locks in the pricing and entails no ETF as long as you keep at least one of the Comcast services on your account active, even if you downgrade tiers.

Since Comcast typically overprovisions their HSI speed tiers by 20% up to but not including Gigabit (this has proved to be a constant factor in my setup over many years), that means that I can move up from Blast! (240Mbps) to Extreme Pro (720Mbps) for just an additional $10 p.m. with the security of knowing that I will have that pricing in place for the next two years. At the very least, I could simply change my current Blast! to Extreme, going from 240Mbps to 360Mbps, for the same price I am paying now.

The prevailing wisdom up to now has been that Blast! is the sweet spot as far as bang for the buck is concerned; but IMHO if bandwidth is important to you I think Extreme Pro has taken over the throne for value in this domain. And that's where I think I will land under the current pricing.

The above should apply throughout the Big South region, but, as with all things Comcast, other service areas may experience different pricing schemes.