Multiple Recording Of Shows

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by RMJC, Sep 13, 2007.

1. RMJC

RMJC New Member

Apr 7, 2006
    My daughter records several shows on MTV as first run only, but manages to get several copies (up to 6) of the show recorded, weather or not it is a rerun.

This is loading up the tivo with so many items in the TO DO LIST, the rest of us keep getting notices about not enough space to record our shows.

Can anybody help us?

Thanks
    Rich

2. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    The guide data for MTV is notoriously bad. You can set the season pass to keep at most 1 and save until I delete, but in that case you will only get one episode at a time and TiVo will not record another until you delete it. You can also set a manual recording (e.g. record MTV every Friday from 12-1). Either way be sure to pad your recordings because MTV is always starting and ending shows late.

3. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Or, you could buy yourself a brand new TiVoHD (assuming that is not what you currently have) and give the other to your daughter to record as she pleases.

4. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    If these shows are normally scheduled for the same time every day or every week you can set up repeating manual recordings for the appropriate time slots. This will eliminate the extra unwanted recordings, but will record repeats and if the wanted program isn't on, it will record whatever is on at that time.

5. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
  6. willp2

willp2 Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Hello, I'm new to Tivo having just picked up a TivoHD and am coming from a Windows Media Center. I like the Tivo a bunch, but I am really surprised that i have less control over recording shows than on the PC. I have half a dozen shows that record more than once a day. Do I seriously have to do manual recordings for all these? Its kind of annoying that this things tuners are tied up all the time recording the same things over and over.

Thanks for any advice.

7. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse

That "problem" is one of the great features of Tivo. Most other DVR's will only look for a program within a certain time slot. If the program has been moved to a later slot or even a different day your scheduled recordings of that show won't happen. Tivo on the other hand will find the program whenever it airs on that channel regardless of time or day. The reason it records a program multiple times is simply because of bad guide data. The way around this type of bad guide data is the use of repeating manual recordings.
    Is it that inconvenient to sit down in front of your TV and spend a few minutes setting up the necessary repeating manual recordings? It only has to be done once - unless the program gets shuffled to a new time slot. Is that not worth the hassle of dealing with the extra recordings day after day, week after week?

A Tivo only does what you tell it to do based on the information it has in the guide data. If you want it to do something other than what it is doing, you have to give it a new set of instructions. Very simple.

8. willp2

willp2 Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Thanks for the info, I guess I really did understand that and was just hoping for more control. Of course its not too much trouble, since I have no other choice. I'm just used to this being a trival setting on my old system, so I assumed Tivo would do the same thing. Even with manual recordings there are things I can't do now that I could before.

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, I've just always had this idea in my head that Tivo was the "end all" of DVR's so I assumed that would mean I've have loads of options and fexibility. Its a great device, but I'll miss the flexibility of my old system.

Thanks again for the comments.