Multiple Issues with Premiere

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by CZ51, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Apr 2, 2018 #1 of 11
    CZ51

CZ51 New Member

Apr 2, 2018

Advertisements

My three year old Premiere has developed three issues:

1) The list of shows transferred to the computer does not show under My Shows any more. I've restarted everything as suggested in other posts,
    2) No suggestions show. I rate shows and keep selecting the "Improve Your Suggestions", but it says "You do not have any suggestions",
    2) As i remember from a while back, you could rewind a live show back to the beginning of the show - 30 min for a 30-min show, 2 hrs for a 2-hr show. Now I can only go back a max of 30 min.

#1 is new - about the last 3 weeks. #2 and #3 have been longer.

Thanks.

2. Apr 2, 2018 #2 of 11
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    While I have never been able to rewind more than 30 minutes with a Premiere or Roamio, should I decide to record the channel I'm watching, there may be more than 30 minutes added to the recording.

I think having two 2) may be confusing. It's an English problem too, since there are three "2" in the language but no way to write it. :)

3. Apr 2, 2018 #3 of 11
    CZ51

CZ51 New Member

Apr 2, 2018
    Sorry Joe, I wasn't very clear.

I use the Premiere as my cable box, so I watch shows through the TiVo, without necessarily recording them. You can view upcoming shows, switch tuners, etc. While watching a show, you used to be able to go back to the beginning of the show you were watching even if it was 3 hours ago. You could decide near the end of a movie that you wanted to record the whole thing and it would. Now, and this has been happening for quite a while, you are limited to going back 30 minutes. So if you get 90 minutes into a movie, all you can record is the last 30 minutes.

Yes, I screwed up the numbering.

Thanks.

4. Apr 2, 2018 #4 of 11
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    3) it has always been 30 min buffer on Live TV, ever since Tivo came out.

You might be thinking about the Cableco's DVRs.

5. Apr 2, 2018 #5 of 11
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

The problem might be that I tested with a Roamio and perhaps it treats the buffer in a different manner. I get a 30 minute rewind but a variable capture if I select record. Even though we both use 20.7.4.RC29, TiVo boxes act differently.

6. Apr 2, 2018 #6 of 11
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    1. What are you running on the PC for transferring shows back to your TiVo? TiVo Desktop, pyTivo or pyTivo Desktop. If you aren't seeing it under Devices or My Shows and are still running the gen 3 UI, then it means the TiVo doesn't see the software running on your PC (if you've upgraded to Hydra/gen 4 UI, then you are not going to see your PC or be able to upload shows back to your TiVo) and generally this is going to be some kind of issue with your PC, the software or network assuming that you've restarted the TiVo at least once recently.

2. You've made sure that Suggestions are enabled? And do you have a tuning adapter as I recall at least at one point those caused an issue with Suggestions being recorded?

3. For the live TV buffer you've never been able to rewind back more than 30 minutes. As Joe indicated, if you have been on the channel more than 30 minutes, you may get more than 30 minutes in the recording and we've been seeing more of this here since Comcast has reduced bit rates and when they switched to MPEG4 (and reduced bit rates even more!) since the buffer seems to be allocated based on disk space even though when you use trick play it only shows you the last 30 minutes.

Scott

7. Apr 3, 2018 #7 of 11
    CZ51

CZ51 New Member

Apr 2, 2018
    Scott,

1) I'm using the same version of Tivo Desktop I've used for years. Recorded shows appeared in my My Shows list until recently - I figured something happened during one of the updates. Music and photos show up as before.

2) Suggestions are enabled, and I when I select Improve Your Suggestions, I get the list of shows I've rated, but no suggestions. I do not have a tuning adapter.

3) I've had at least one Tivo since the early '90s. I'm sure you used to be able to rewind a live show to the beginning, no matter how long it was. Since the TiVo is recording everything on both tuners whether you are saving them or not, I'd be willing to bet it's a change made to the software. I can't really say how long ago this changed, but it would be nice if they changed it back.

Thanks for the help.

8. Apr 3, 2018 #8 of 11
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    #1- you'll be better off going to a new product as TiVo no longer supports this. You stated you rebooted everything, that includes the PC, switch, router, etc?
    #2- how full is your drive? Are there any recordings in recently deleted? Do you use "keep until" to a high degree?
    #3- you are remembering something incorrectly, TiVo has never allowed for this. However, since the buffer is based on size, not time, a recording will sometimes pick up additional time.

9. Apr 3, 2018 #9 of 11
    UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I’d switch to Pytivo if I were you. I think it’s much more stable than TiVo desktop. But if you want to stick with desktop, try switching from Beacon to Bonjour or vice versa. I recall that working to get connectivity going again.

I’ve never seen more than a 30 minute buffer except in some very, very rare instances when recording was involved.

10. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    1. So you can view photo's and playback music on your PC? That would be odd to see those but not the video share. You might give pyTivo Desktop a try.

2. Not sure why it would not be recording Suggestions (still recording them here but we have a Roamio).

3. Well TiVo didn't get released until 1999 so early 90's is not quite right. ;) We bought our first S1 in June 2000 ourselves and you really couldn't ever rewind live TV more than 30 minutes as the others have mentioned as well unless recording it and watching it while still recording.

Scott

11. powrcow

powrcow Active Member

Sep 27, 2010
    I have a Premiere with a tuning adapter and I still get suggestions. I get fewer suggestions if my TiVo is full-ish. If the TiVo is 80% full of shows I've told it to record, the suggestion list is short and usually only contains shows I've rated.

The only time I'm able to rewind more than 30 minutes is if the TiVo is already recording the program and I change to the tuner that is doing the recording. This rarely happens now since I mostly watch recorded programming. Otherwise the behavior is like everyone else said: 30 minutes of live buffer per tuner.