Multi TV setup

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by nitro001, Jul 13, 2019.

1. nitro001

nitro001 New Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Hello,
    Currently running a single Tivo Bolt 1GB which has worked well for a single TV in the living room. I had a small TV in a bedroom using a spectrum regular box. However, we just moved into a much larger home with my inlaws and going to about 5 TVs and 1 projector for a dedicated media room.

So.. I need to convert to a multi TV setup. I figure at least one more bolt then minis for the rest. However, I am not sure how this setup will work. I.e. can a mini take a tuner from any available bolt, or is it tied to a specific bolt? I know you can use tools to transfer recordings between tivos, but can you just watch recordings on one tivo from another? Similarly, from a mini can you watch recordings from any bolt on the network?

I can setup moca if I need to, I have partial wired ethernet in some rooms and ac wireless throughout the house.

Thanks in advance.

2. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    You can stream (watch) all your recordings from other TiVos and Minis, stuff that your cable company has copy protected can be streamed but not transferred. For streaming to work, they need to be connected by Ethernet or MOCA; WiFi won't do for streaming unless you fool the TiVos with a bridge so they it thinks it's Ethernet. Transfers, however, will work over WiFi for the stuff that can be copied. These days I very seldom find the need to transfer anything from TiVo to TiVo, and I don't even download stuff to my PC much either.

Your Mini is tied to a particular Bolt to select a tuner, but it is very easy to change which one it is tied to.

3. nitro001

nitro001 New Member

Oct 30, 2017
    How about taking my 1 TiVo box and hooking it up in the media room which is not used all the time and it would be the primary recording device. Then a secondary bolt to drive the other mini's, handle live TV (yes we still do a lot of that, which is why I can't go to hydra) and random recordings.

My only concern here is someone would schedule a show it would wind up on the secondary tivo not the primary recorder and tie up a tuner or not be able to record due to tuner in use.

4. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    You can set it up that way if you wish. When the Mini is first setup, you select one "Host" DVR and it will show that DVR's content by default, and take that box's tuner for live TV.

But it's easy to navigate to the other DVR and watch that content too.

5. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    With a few very minor and rare exceptions, a recording will always be done on the TiVo box that you are watching when the recording is scheduled. A Mini will always schedule a recording on its specified Host DVR (that is also the same TiVo that it steals a tuner from for live TV).

Changing the Host DVR for a Mini is very simple from the menus, but it seems quite unlikely that one would ever want to do that regularly just to change where a recording was going to happen. You suggested that you might want to use the Media Room TiVo for most recordings (since it would not be used much), but that really won't work well at all, since you would need to physically go to the Media Room every time you want to schedule something (unless you are watching a Mini hosted by that DVR).

If you have the Minis all hosted by the Media Room DVR, then it will do all the recordings from those Minis, which is similar to what you suggested. BUT, watching a Mini for most regular TiVo use is not the same experience as watching a TV connected directly to a TiVo DVR with multiple tuners. If it was me, I would put a Mini in the Media Room and place the two DVRs at the TV locations where I spent the majority of time.

6. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    For the last 15+ years, I have always had multiple TiVo DVRs (both to provide more tuners and more recording capacity), and there is always a slight inconvenience and confusion is trying to decide which box to use for which recordings. It is not really a big deal, but it is just something you have to live with if you have two DVRs instead of just one.

The good news is that it is dead simple to just move DVRs and Minis to different locations as you get used to a new configuration and decide what works for you and what does not.