Multi-Switch with older 3 LNB Dish

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by edkut, Mar 28, 2009.

1. edkut

edkut New Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Hampton, NH

Advertisements

I have a older 3 LNB dish. 2 coax leads go into the attic to feed one SD DVR receiver upstairs while 2 coax leads go into the basement to feed another SD DVR downstairs. Can I connect a mult-switch to the 2 leads in the basement to add another DVR. Or do I need all 4 leads from the dish to feed into the switch and have all the receivers feed from it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    If you only care about channels from the main 101º satellite, you can connect a multiswitch to those two cables in the basement and connect additional DVR to that multiswitch. But it will only "see" channels from the 101º satellite.

If your area requires reception of the 119º satellite (for your local SD channels, or Spanish Language Package), then you need all four cables from the dish connected to the multiswitch inputs.

3. edkut

edkut New Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Hampton, NH
    Thanks for the info litzdog. Any particular spec on the switch?

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Any of the two-input DirecTV-compatible multiswitches will work. You'll find a variety at http://www.solidsignal.com. Get the Zinwell WB68 if you plan to eventually upgrade to HiDef.