Multi-Switch troubleshooting

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by SpelunkerBob, Jun 7, 2006.

1. SpelunkerBob

SpelunkerBob New Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I suffered a lighting strike and lost a couple of receivers. A couple survived, but were not getting a signal. I removed my 5x8 multi-switch and connected them with a cheap 2x4 I had hanging around.

Presto, signal on 101W.

I ordered a new 5x8 multi-switch, connected it, and NO SIGNAL? What's the probability that a new 5x8 and the old 5x8 would exhibit the exact same symptoms?

Also, I've been getting shocked while handling the ends of the RG6 cables from the receiver. I don't remember this ever happening before.

If I connect straight from the dish to the sat.receivers I get singal as well.

Signal is however a lot lower than it use to be on all receivers.

Am I looking at a dead dish?

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Check the cable connections. Some could also have been damaged due to the lightning.
    Does the new 5x8 require power?

The receivers put out 13v or 18v to control the LNB or multiswitch. This is what your are feeling.

3. SpelunkerBob

SpelunkerBob New Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The multi-switch does require power and it was plugged into a known working outlet. I'm now thinking the signal may be marginal direct from the dish and the signal drop due to the 8way split is contributing to the problem.