Multi-Switch(s)

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Philly Bill, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Philly Bill

Philly Bill Everyday is Saturday

Oct 6, 2004
    Rotonda...

Advertisements

I'm quite sure there is info on this forum about this, but I don't think I've been able to find it.

I heard somewhere that you can't use as input to a multi-switch the output from ANOTHER multi-switch. If this isn't true, then the question is answered.

Example.

You have one of those Phase III dishes with the built in multi-switch in it... four outputs.

You have two DTIVOS and one HD receiver.

If you take the four lines out of the dish and run one to the HD receiver... and the other three to the two DTIVO units, you're still one short.

My first "assumption" would prevent taking two of those remaining three lines and running them into a small multi-switch and splitting them to four (two for each DTIVO) correct?

How is this problem solved with the feeds coming from the dish ALREADY outputs from a multi-switch?

Thanks.

2. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    We call connecting outputs of one multiswitch to inputs of another "cascading" and most multiswitches are cascadable; you'll usually find some reference to that in the product literature. The distinction refers to the inputs of amultiswitch being able to fully generate the control signals to get the right satellite signal for that input. In DirecTV's case, that means the inputs for both SatB/C connections have to generate a 22kHz tone so that the multiswitch those inputs are connected to will deliver the SatB/C signals.

But you need to provide feeds to all the inputs of the attached multiswtich; so all 4 outputs of the Phase III dish need to connect to a cascadable 4x8 or 5x8 multiswitch, and then you can connect the outputs of that mutltiswitch to other receivers. They can also go to yet another multiswitch, so, for example, you can connect the Phase III dish to a 5x8 multiswitch, and 4 outputs of the multiswitch to another 5x8 multiswitch, effectively giving you 12 total outputs available to connect to tuners.

3. Mike500

Mike500 Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Upstate...
    The best and most compatible multiswitch is apparently the Zinwell SAM4803 4x8. It can be had on eBay for $30-35 delivered.

As a professional installer, I have found it to be the most reliable and works with all configurations of DirecTV systems. The only one it does not work with is the second dish when used with the Phase III dishes.

I've installers all sorts of multiswitches. Go with the Zinwell, if you want absolutely no problems. Zinwell makes them for a lot of companies, but the Zinwells are the smallest and most compact models.

4. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Considering he is feeding an HD receiver, there might be reason to prefer a 5x8 mutliswitch providing an antenna input and diplexeing onto all 4 multiswitch outputs.

5. Mike500

Mike500 Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Upstate...

Advertisements

I never like diplexors or dividing an OTA signal 8 times. Some OTA signals are weak enough, already. If you can do it, run the extra OTA cables.

You can always diplex only those feeds which you need OTA with single diplexors. Perfect 10 also makes a 5x4 diplexor.

6. Philly Bill

Oct 6, 2004
    Rotonda...
    Thanks for the info you guys. :urock:

7. Philly Bill

Oct 6, 2004
    Rotonda...

I got one of these for only about 25 bucks.

What does the power accomplish?

The instructions indicate I can use this switch with only two inputs (temporarily I might want to do this as my round dish with dual LNB is still on the roof).

Does this make sense?

8. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    In most cases a multiswitch designed for power won't work without power. So the answer is "it makes it work" :)

Yes, you can use a 4x8 or 5x8 multiswitch with only two inputs. Just make sure that you connect the coax to the two Sat A inputs on the multiswitch. They might be labeled "Sat A", "101°", or :0 KHz".

9. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Many powered cascadable multiswitches require power in order to produce the correct voltages and 22kHz signal for the upstream multiswitch.

10. dminches

dminches Member

Sep 29, 2001
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    It is my understanding that it is preferable to use high frequency splitters instead of cascading. This information was given to me by someone (professional) who has done some installations at my home. Recently I added a 2nd 5x8 switch and he accomplished it by splitting as opposed to cascading.

11. greywolf

greywolf New Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Evanston IL
    The only reason I can see for a parallel preference over cascading is the greater number of available outputs. Cascading is less expensive and works just as well but provides fewer outputs.

12. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Well, if you need 16 outputs then parallel splitters feeding two 4x8 multiswitches is cheaper and cascading three multiswitches.

But that's a fairly unusual install. For up to 12 outputs it is less hassle just to cascade.