Multi switch question

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by Lopey, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Lopey

Lopey Active Member

Feb 12, 2004
    Ormond...

Advertisements

I'm thinking about getting another DTivo, and want to put another one in my livingroom. Can I get a multiswitch and use it in the living room, putting the two inputs coming from the wall into it and then splitting it out to the two tivos?

2. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    (That is probably a question better asked in the 'DirecTV Receiver with TiVo' forum here, since that is where the satellite users tend to be.)

However, the basic answer is that putting a 2 input multiswitch in the living room only works if you are using a single round dish and getting all your channels from the main DirecTV 101 Satellite. If you are using an oval multi-satellite dish you can't get all your channels from only two inputs to a multiswitch, it would take 4-6 inputs (depending on exactly which satellites you need to receive)

3. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    If you only want to use your DTiVo for the 101 sat then it will work. When I had DirecTV I took the 4 outputs from the oval Dish switch and went to a Terk 8 output switch. I used two of those outpust to go to a spaun 2x6 switch and used those outputs for my DTiVos since I only used the DTiVos for the 101 Sat. My HDTiVos were connected to the Terk switch and had no problem seeing all 3 Sats. And the DTiVos had no probllem on the Spaun switch with programming from th 101 sat.