Multi-switch plus signal combiner?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by tbgman, Apr 2, 2011.

1. tbgman

tbgman New Member

Jan 26, 2003
    I have an older 18" round dual LNB satellite with 2 lines running to a 2x4 multi-switch in my house that is feeding two R10 DirecTivo's.

Can I use a signal combiner to combine two of the 4 signals off of the multiswitch so that I only have to run one coaxial cable to the second R10 DirecTivo? I'd like to run only a single wire from the multi-switch and then split the signal again at the second receiver so that I can use the dual tuner functionality.

Any thoughts? Haven't seen this on here anywhere.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Nope, that won't work. Each Tivo tuner needs its own coax cable back to your multiswitch.

3. jonbig

jonbig New Member

Sep 22, 2003
    There are stacker/destacker solutions available for your setup, but they run more than $400. Not worth it IMO when I looked into it myself.

4. Admdata

Admdata New Member

May 9, 2010
    Greeley PA
    A cheap option is to get a bigger mutiswitch, and run the lines from that.

5. Duffycoug

Duffycoug New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    I think he's trying to avoid running two lines to each receiver, so the larger multiswitch is a non-factor.

6. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Or replace the TiVos with DirecTV HR2X boxes that support SWM. One cable can support multiple boxes and you can even use splitters.

7. Admdata

Admdata New Member

May 9, 2010
    Greeley PA
    ahh mybad, I misunderstood.!!