Multi-room viewing with single box

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jrmsp, Jun 30, 2010.

1. jrmsp

jrmsp New Member

May 20, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN

Advertisements

This has been touched on in the past, but I'm hoping someone has found a better way.

I have a single HD in my living room and like to view both there as well as in the bedroom. I've been doing it for years, using an old Terk Leapfrog that runs both video and audio through my home phone line to the tv in my bedroom. Now I'm hoping to upgrade to a nice HD flat panel in the bedroom but still like the idea of MRV, but don't really care to buy another box and sub and have Comcast activate another outlet. Any decent way to get good-quality audio and video to the other receiver? I've seen some references to Slingbox, but I'm thinking it appears to be more pc-oriented. Any thoughts?

2. lastdeadcat

lastdeadcat 22 years in Alaska

Mar 14, 2005
    Duvall, WA
    A remote controled HDMI switch, long cables and remote extender is one way among others

But by far the easiest is to just get another TiVo box and network them.

I know the CableCARDs can be a headache, but that is usually a one time pain. You could choose not to use them by just setting up the TiVo box as if it is OTA. Then with a network you can transfer recordings to that box from the one using the cable connection. You will still need to subscribe the 2nd TiVo to get MRV. You would also have access to internet stuff for that bedroom TiVo.

If you do install the CableCARDs, you then have instantly two more tuners to resolve any recording conflicts. Not to mention you will have more recording space.

3. pdonoghu

pdonoghu Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Upper...
    You can use a Slingbox on the Tivo end, and a Sling Catcher on the TV end to display the picture. While you would have to buy the 2 boxes, there are no subscription fees. You would have the added benefit of being able to watch and control your Tivo on a computer, both on your local network, and over the internet.

4. Jul 1, 2010 #4 of 29
    BigOtter

BigOtter New Member

Apr 18, 2010
    The easiest method is by using an HDMI splitter to divide the signal coming out of the TiVo, then an HDMI extender to run the HD signal and audio to your bedroom. You will get full 1080 HD and sound but be advised, it will be the same thing that is playing on your living room set. All such parts are available at websites like Firefold.com

5. Jul 1, 2010 #5 of 29
    jrmsp

jrmsp New Member

May 20, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN

Advertisements

The extender thing looks a little spendy, for the distance I'd need.

Re: Sling...looks kind of appealing. However, what's up with Catcher? It's mentioned on Sling's Canadian website but not so much as a peep on their u.s. site.

6. Jul 1, 2010 #6 of 29
    fatlard

fatlard New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    If you are looking for multiple rooms with HD, you should consider a Moxi.

7. Jul 1, 2010 #7 of 29
    Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    Unless you are concerned about not being able to MRV anything once you get it installed. Depending on your area, your cable company might be setting the CCI byte to 0x02 which kills the TiVo style MRV.

There are some wireless HDMI options you can look at as well. I think I saw some when I was looking into wireless VGA a few weeks ago.

8. Jul 1, 2010 #8 of 29
    TooMuchTime

TooMuchTime New Member

Jun 29, 2008
    I have two TiVos, both with cable cards and have them networked. Yes, I do have to pay subscriptions for both, but doing that on a yearly basis saves a bit of money. And the extra two tuners does cut down on recording conflicts.

Having to transfer the files from one box to another takes some forethought. My wife still hasn't figured out that if she wants to watch her soaps in the family room, she needs to start that copy from the other TiVo with a reasonable amount of lead time. The recordings just don't appear there; you need to do some planning. If she starts watching immediately while the recording is streaming, then she has to watch the commercials, too. Zipping through the commercials doesn't make for good viewing of streaming content.

9. Dec 9, 2010 #9 of 29
    jrmsp

jrmsp New Member

May 20, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Just bumping this back up -- I'm still in search of a solution, esp. now that I bought a new HD set for the BR. The two-tivo-copy back-and-forth thing doesn't quite fit the bill for me; sling seems to be discontinued. Getting perilously close to jumping ship to D* and their MRV setup....

10. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    How about this?

AirSync HD wireless

http://www.brite-view.com/air_synchd.php

I'm going to try one myself to be able to run one Tivo in two rooms.

11. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    I'm not sure what you mean. With wired Ethernet, the TiVo can MRV transfer at better than real time. Generally even HD programs can transfer fast enough to eliminate commercials. TiVo's MRV allows one to start a program in the second room from where the viewer left off in the first room.

Why do you say that? The site is still online, and Amazon.com, at least, has them for sale new.

12. jrmsp

jrmsp New Member

May 20, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I really don't want to run Ethernet up one floor and over to the other side of the house. Anyone have experience with MRV and powerline networking and/or wireless?

Pardon the ignorant question, but does the HDMI output from Tivo carry both audio and video? I've only ever used the digital and optical outputs from there to my receiver...

13. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    The slingcatcher has been discontinued, effectively making the slingbox a PC/mobile device solution, and not a central TV distribution option.

14. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    HDMI carries both audio and video from the TiVo. If you want HD at a distance, the options can get pricey. Probably among the least expensive is a converter to use two cat5e ethernet cables to move the signal. This requires a converter at each end, and running two cat5e cables between the locations.

I use a 30' HDMI cable up a wall to share a TiVo between two TVs. It is only up and then over a bit, so it was not hard.

15. jrmsp

jrmsp New Member

May 20, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    This sounds damned near perfect, at least on paper. Anyone have any experience with it?

16. jrfuda

jrfuda New Member

Oct 14, 2010
    What size is the flat panel in the bedroom going to be? If 42 or less, you can use a channel modulater and still get a pretty good analog picture on the set using a single run of (likely existing) coax. You connect the modulator to the composite output of the TiVo, though I'm not sure if they remain active unles you have 480i enabled in display settings...

You'll just have to be creative on how to get the remote to work from the other room, using either a slide remote if withing 30', a wireless IR repeater, 3rd party RF remote or a Xantech or similair system that works over coax (I've used both the Xantech and RF remote methods on and off, depending on where I lived for years with great success). I'm not so big a fan of the IR repeaters, which often used a crowded frequency (usually the same as baby monitors) to send IR room-ro-room and are unreliable.

Other options pointed out here are great as well, you can also feed one TV with HDMI and another with Component.

I used the modulator for years to get my 2 x 400 Disc DVD Changers to be able to be seen all around the house, they send the same pic out over all outputs at once (hdmi, component, S-Video and composite) regardless what's playing. I have not tried it with the TiVos yet, though. I currently use 4 Tivos to get house-wide viewing, but there are times I think I'd like to be able to use the modulator especially if we're going to watch the same thing in 2 adjacent rooms, it would be easier to keep what's being viewed in sync.

17. TiVo Steve

TiVo Steve New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Seattle WA.
    I have my TiVo HD in my bedroom. It connects via the 5-wire component + L/R audio to my 32" Vizio LCD in the bedroom. I also use a 15' HDMI cable (going through a wall) to my 46" Sony Bravia LCD TV in the front room.

I use the original "peanut" remote in the bedroom. I bought a "Glo" remote to use in the front room. I installed a NextGen remote transmitter (you replace a battery in the Glo remote with a special transmitter and rechagable battery). I hid the IR transmitter under the bed (it can "see" the TiVo from there.

Total cost was around $50!

18. jrfuda

jrfuda New Member

Oct 14, 2010
    That's good to know, I've seen those before and wondered how well they worked.

19. jrmsp

jrmsp New Member

May 20, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'm gonna give the Air SyncHD a shot since they have a good return policy; will post my results this weekend!

20. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Oh, I thought you meant the Slingbox itself was MD. Slingcatchers - even purportedly new ones - are readily available on ebay.