Multi Room Viewing question

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by dbutts, Nov 16, 2009.

1. dbutts

dbutts New Member

Mar 28, 2007

Advertisements

Please redirect me to the proper thread as I'm sure this has been asked.

Given: Living room has Tivo HD with 1TB drive

Can I buy a 2d Tivo HD for bedroom and NOT Activate it or pay monthly fee and use to transfer/view shows from living room tivo hd?

I understand that I would not be able to record or use the guide.. I just want MRV and short of switching to Moxi, this is the only thing I can think of. I don't want to pay comcast & tivo again for another room.

2. NJ_HB

NJ_HB TiVo/MCE/PSP

Mar 21, 2007
    Piscataway,...
    No, you need a service contract.

3. dbutts

dbutts New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    ok thanks. i guess there's a moxi in my future.

does anyone know if tivo is going to expand the mrv option?

4. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    No one that will post on this forum, anyway.

5. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

Advertisements

you can buy a TiVo for roughly 500$ with lifetime and not bother to tell comcast you have it and do the transfers.

there has been no statement from TiVo at all about anything Moximate like.

So you can switch to Moxi or buy another TiVo for the same money. For me the final choice would be in the hassle factor and if I wanted to use the 2 tuners from the second TiVo in some fashion - be it analog cable or OTA

6. SpiritualPoet

SpiritualPoet Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Texas
    What business is it of Comcast how many TiVos a customer has? There is no reason any cable provider should/could impose a mandated fee for each TiVo connected to service. How did anyone surmise the person with the question is even using Comcast? There is no mention of that in the original post to this thread.

7. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    The original poster clearly stated that he did not want to pay Comcast for another room. I think what Zeo was referring to was that he doesn't need to let Comcast know it exists or to add cable cards to it etc. While Comcast doesn't charge (as mandated by law) for additional analog outlets, they do charge for additional digital outlets I believe. Basically, if the poster didn't add the cablecard, then they are ok.

8. dbutts

dbutts New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    yes ..i have comcast...

thanks for all the replies. basically all i want to do is watch shows in my bedroom from my living room tivo.

i have a Western Dig HD Live box that's pretty neat, but too cumbersome to do all the conversions necessary to make it work like a 'tivo mate'

i could, in theory, buy an hdmi splitter and run a long hdmi cable to my bedroom tv and setup some kind of IR remote extender, i guess.

9. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Or you could skip the HDMI splitter and use the compisite outputs. You could then use wireless a video extender that will also transmit the remote control signals for about $150. I'm guessing that the TV in your bedroom isn't very big, so you probably won't notice the decreased resolution.