Multi-room Viewing Install

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by sgkane, Jan 3, 2017.

1. sgkane

sgkane New Member

Jan 3, 2017

Advertisements

I'm sure this is covered somewhere but I can't find it. I apologize in advance if this has been covered already.

I want to purchase a Bolt with mini. My internet is one, stand-alone outlet in my home office. The rest of the house coax outlets are currently wired to Directv. I am "cutting the cord" and getting an antenna installed to replace the Directv--so the Coax outlets will all be OTA.

I need to set up the mini in a different room on the other side of the house and upstairs from where the Bolt will be located. Per instructions, the only option available to me is a moca bridge. I've looked at the diagrams for creating a moca bridge, but I don't see how that would work with the stand alone internet. Do I have to move the internet cable to the rest of the outlets and share that with the OTA? Or, does the tivo bridge connect to the incoming OTA or to the incoming internet Coax?

Any assistance for this technology-deficient older guy would be appreciated.

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    First question is whether the home office only has the one coax wall outlet, your Internet line connecting to your cable modem, or if you also have a DirecTV-connected coax outlet in the home office?

Also, do you have Ethernet runs to any other room in the house or is Ethernet only available within the home office, via direct connection to your router/gateway?

3. sgkane

sgkane New Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Thank you for the quick reply.

1. Home office has both the internet-dedicated outlet and the Directv outlet.

2. If ethernet = cable connection, yes the only internet connection is located in the home office. The internet is connected to a motorola modem, which is, in turn, connected to a netgear router.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Ethernet cables and jacks look like phone wires, except bigger, like this...

[​IMG]
    ... and your router should have several "LAN" Ethernet jacks available, to which you could hard-wire your computer (PC or laptop) or other Ethernet-capable devices. If you have separate cable modem and router devices, then your router will also have a single Ethernet jack that is likely labeled "Internet" or "WAN," which would be direct-connected to your cable modem.

[​IMG]

Some homes have Ethernet cabling run throughout the home, similar to how coax is run, making whole home networking a bit easier. But no matter, given your response re: that 2nd coax outlet, you'll be able to use MoCA to provide wired networking for your TiVo devices.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

Good, this means that your current Internet coax feed can remain as-is, untouched.

So, assuming your DirecTV equipment is gone and the coax plant is converted over to OTA, to setup your MoCA network you'd connect the suggested MoCA adapter's coax input port to that now-OTA wall outlet in the home office, and the MoCA adapter's Ethernet port would be connected via an Ethernet cable to an open LAN port on your router/gateway. This will bridge your router's Ethernet LAN over to the OTA coax lines, and establish a MoCA network on the "OTA" lines to which your TiVo devices could connect. You'd then connect both the BOLT and Mini to this MoCA network as clients, using the "Connect using MoCA" network setup option.

That's the high level. There are some additional details you'd want to work through to ensure a MoCA-compatible coax plant, including replacing any splitters with MoCA-compliant models (e.g.), and getting a MoCA filter installed between the antenna and the first splitter from the antenna. (more info on "PoE" MoCA filters, here: Why? and How?)

edit: p.s. Note that since your cable Internet coax feed will be isolated from your MoCA-activated "OTA" coax lines, you won't need a "PoE" MoCA filter installed on your cable provider's incoming coax line. No MoCA network will exist on your "cable" coax line so there won't be anything to filter or block.

sgkane likes this.
  6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Additional planning...

"so the Coax outlets will all be OTA"

Do all the rooms require the OTA signal (e.g. will you be feeding the OTA signal directly to your TVs), or do you only need the OTA signal at the BOLT (which will handle all OTA signal tuning for your BOLT and Minis)?

edit: p.s. See this post (and up-thread of it) for options on connecting your OTA antenna feed.

7. sgkane

sgkane New Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Your replies are perhaps the best I've seen on any help forum. Much appreciated and I think I've got it!

Cheers

Mikeguy and krkaufman like this.
  8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Hope to help; pop back in if/as needed...