Multi-room Viewing: How does it work?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ufauxreal, Jan 1, 2012.

1. ufauxreal

ufauxreal New Member

Sep 16, 2008

Advertisements

I currently have a Series3 HD Tivo connected to the only TV in the house. I would like to add a TV to my bedroom upstairs, and somehow be able to view programs recorded on the downstairs Tivo up there. I'm not sure just how this works. Ideally I would like to do this without an additional Tivo, but would consider buying a used older model Tivo with Lifetime if necessary. I would like to see all the 'Now Playing' shows from the HD Tivo listed on the second TV, and be able to select from them, but I'm not sure if that is possible?

I've done a search on the forum before posting this and have seen posts about a device called 'Leapfrog' which does not seem to require an additional Tivo, and possible other devices, but many of those posts were quite old.

I also looked on eBay for used Tivo's, and see a number made by different manufacturers. Does it matter who manufactured the Tivo?

Thanks!

JB

2. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    That's what Multi-Room Viewing - MRV - is. A similar pair of utilities, TiVo To Go and TiVo Come Back, allow one to transfer videos between a TiVo and an external device.

The NPL of the remote TiVo is duplciated on the local TiVo.

Somethng like a Sling Box would work, or you may be able to simply pipe the video from the TiVo to a remote room. It all depends on what limitations you are willing to accept or how much money you are willing to spend to eliminate those limitations.

Surely, as long as the content is not copy protected.

TiVo is the only manufacturer of the S3 class TiVos. Any TiVo without the TiVo brand on it is not an S3 or newer machine. You would not be able to transfer HD videos from your THD to an S2, and none at all to an S1.

3. ufauxreal

ufauxreal New Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Thank you both for your replies.

steve614: I did see part of that page, the part that says I need 2 Tivos and high speed broadband, and both with subscriptions. The rest of the page was very informative... thanks!

lrhorer: You answered, among others, the fact that I can see all the content of the NPL from the orig. Tivo on the secondary Tivo.

So.... I am thinking the best course would be to pick up a used Tivo... either series 2 or 3, with Lifetime .... and a wireless doohicky (forgot what they are called)... I use one without problems on my Tivo now. I know if it's a series 2 I can't watch in HD, but I haven't been recording in HD anyway.

This is great news.

JB