Multi-Room Viewing and/or MOCA Problems

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by HondaGuy, Apr 24, 2020.

1. HondaGuy

HondaGuy motorcycles, that is

Feb 9, 2009
    I have 3 Tivo's plus a Mini as follows:

Kitchen - Premiere with external MOCA device
    Living Room - Premiere with external MOCA device
    Bedroom - Premiere XL4 with internal MOCA
    Laundry Room - Mini

Everything has worked fine for several years. I've made no changes, but a month or so ago, one or more of the boxes started temporarily dropping off of the network. For example, I can be on the Living Room box watching something via Multi-Room Viewing (MRV) on the Bedroom box and suddenly I get an 'unable to reach' error. Sometimes I can connect right back and continue, sometimes I continue to get errors. I can try to connect to another other Tivo on the network (for my example here, the Kitchen box) and it works fine. This happens intermittently on all boxes. I've tried forcing a Tivo network connect/download on all both boxes, restarting all Tivos, restarting my Comcast router and sometimes something I did fixes it, but most times it does not. I've checked all network coax connections and they are all good. I usually just give up and watch something on the local box - then when I try MRV again later, everything works normally (until it breaks again - minutes, hours, or days later). Can anyone give me suggestions of what to look for?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You should try powering everything off, including MoCa adapters. Then starting with modem, power back up until operational and work out to routers, gateways, and finally Tivos, PCs.

3. RickNY

RickNY Member

Sep 16, 2007
    FWIW - I was also experiencing this issue, and it turned out to be an intermittent issue with the TP-Link smart switch I was using for distribution. Replaced the switch about 6 months ago and have no had the issue since. The main Roamio was using Ethernet to this switch.. It can literally be anything in your network.

kpeters59 likes this.
  4. HondaGuy

Feb 9, 2009
    Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried this in the past and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Even if it works, however, it is just a matter of time before it happens again.

5. RickNY

RickNY Member

Sep 16, 2007
    When I had the issue, it started only occasionally and then got progressively more frequent - 3-4x a week on any of the 5 minis.

The switch I’m using now is another TP Link, but it’s unmanaged - TL-SG116.

6. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Si non confectus, non reficiat TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    Check your modem (and any down-line switches) for IGMP snooping and turn it off - I’ve seen it interfere with the TiVo auto discover magic sauce

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. HondaGuy

Feb 9, 2009
    I'm just using a Comcast xfinity modem. I had to replace it a few months back and seems like (maybe) this problem started happening at about the time I replaced it. So maybe it has something to do with that...