Multi-Room: Other S3 not showing up!

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by avmike, Nov 15, 2008.

1. avmike

avmike Member

Jun 11, 2007

Advertisements

Lately one of my S3's does not see the other S3 on the Now Playing List. Both have the same static IP addresses they have always had. Both are list on my account and have the same media access keys. Rebooting the one that does not have the other Tivo in the now playing list solves the problem... ...for a little while anyway...

Any ideas? I dread having to call Tivo and go through the dreaded first tier question list "are you sure it's plugged in?" etc...

Thanks,
    Mike

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I'm having a similar problem with one of myTiVoHD boxes. It just started a few days ago.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Try re-entering your network settings again, then do the re-boot.

4. JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    You didn't say what your network setup is wired , wireless, using an AP for access, but have you tried restarting your routers and Access Points? Sometimes a power blip will fubar my wireless AP's.

5. avmike

avmike Member

Jun 11, 2007

Advertisements

My network is wired. Interesting thing is that if I change the IP address, when I check the now playing list the other Tivo will be listed... ...in anywhere between a few minutes to an hour later, it will be gone.

changing the IP address again causes me to be able to see the other Tivo again... ...for a short time.

I'm calling Tivo. This is EXTREMELY annoying.... very close to changing to Media Center with extenders.

6. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    You mentioned that your Tivos are on static IPs. Tell us a little more about your network. Are you running a DHCP server? Is your router handing out the static IP addresses based on the MAC addresses, or did you manually configure the IPs from the Tivos?

7. Dssturbo1

Dssturbo1 New Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Me too.....have this problem/bug, posted about it Nov. 10th.
    1 THD and 1 S3. the S3 does not show up in the NPL of the THD.
    The THD does show up in the S3 NPL have not had a problem there.

Have to reboot or found I can go to settings menu > phone/network options and ask it to get a new dhcp and when i go back to the THD NPL the S3 will be there BUT if i access it and go back to the THD NPL again the S3 will not be listed again. network is wired. i transfer alot of programs and the setup has been working great since the mrv software upgrade was released.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=410131

8. quyrean

quyrean New Member

Sep 21, 2007
    Lake Forest, CA
    Both tivos need to have the exact same software version. One of them may need an update or restart.

9. Dssturbo1

Dssturbo1 New Member

Feb 22, 2005
    both my S3 and THD connect to tivo each night and show having the same software. I have rebooted both several times trying to fix this bug. still happening, no S3 showing in the THD NPL.

10. spellow

spellow Damn! Winters coming

Oct 31, 2003
    Northern, VA
    Any news on this, I too have this problem.

11. Dssturbo1

Dssturbo1 New Member

Feb 22, 2005
    mine is still having this problem.
    Was hoping to get the new update and see if that would fix it.

12. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    When I first got my THD box 4 or 5 months ago I often saw this same problem from my S3 (no THD shown on the Now Playing menu). The good news is that the problem seems to have completely stopped for me after two or three weeks. The bad news is that I am not aware of having done anything to fix it, so I sure hope it does not come back!

Just for reference, my S3 box is connected via cat5, and my THD box is wireless.

13. wtherrell

wtherrell Active Member

Dec 23, 2004
    Huntersville...
    Same problem here. 2 wireless s-2s and then 1 THD cat5 to the router. THD shows up for a few minutes and then is gone from NPLs on the S-2s. This happens whether DHCP or Static adresses. Something must be a little screwy in the THD software. The PC that is also Wired Cat5 to the router always shows up in the NPLs of both S-2 wireless units and THD and remains there. Tivo definitely needs to fix this problem. The THD is not losing it's address and is always the same and functioning when I check it. Transfers from the THD to the S-2s (SD content) continue to download even after the THD disappears from the NPL.

14. avmike

avmike Member

Jun 11, 2007
    *SOLVED* - Sorry I didn't get back to this thread sooner. It turns out, simply rebooting (power cycling) the Ethernet switches these are plugged into has made the problem disappear.

Prior to this, the best I could do is get the problem to go away for a couple of hours by either rebooting the Tivo or changing the IP address of one of the Tivo's. Since I have rebooted the swtiches (simple layer 2 Gigabit switches) the problem has not resurfaced.

-Mike

15. wtherrell

wtherrell Active Member

Dec 23, 2004
    Huntersville...
    Glad it worked for you. For me, it fixes the problem for maybe 10 minutes at the outside and then it happens again. I really do believe it is a Tivo problem as I stated before. Again, only the S3 Tivo is affected. Wireless Tivos and the wired PC continue to show in the NPL. Only the S3 disappears.

16. csrx

csrx New Member

Feb 15, 2008
    NYC
    I need to check this forum more often. I am having the same problem. 2 wired TiVos, an S3 and an HD. The S3 disappears from the TivoHD menu. I rebooted the TivoHD. This solved the problem... not permanently. The S3 disappears again.

It's been working fine for a year and recently started behaving this way. It's too much of a coincidence that it's happening to a number of us.

17. Dssturbo1

Dssturbo1 New Member

Feb 22, 2005
    so how do they handle when new upgrades/software is sent to one of your units and not the other(s)

18. masterwick

masterwick Member

Feb 10, 2006
    Switch and router power cycle temporarily helped my issue (<12 hours). Reboots on the THD is a temp fix as well.

In my case issue is very recent, <1 month, much like everyone else. I figured it was a sw ver mismatch but after 1 month, this mismatch should have been resolved if that was the case.

2 S3s + 1 THD wired on gigabit switch. The THD seems to dissappear from other S3s and vice-versa.

19. Dssturbo1

Dssturbo1 New Member

Feb 22, 2005
    i only have the problem with the THD missing the S3 in its NPL, the THD does not go missing in the NPL of my S3.

20. Bodie

Bodie Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Honolulu
    I had this problem when one got the Fall Service Update. Since then it has resolved itself even though one of them is still on 9.4. I don't know what happened since reboots hadn't corrected it previously.