Muli-room transferred movies have no description data

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by timepieces141, Feb 10, 2011.

1. timepieces141

timepieces141 New Member

May 8, 2007

Advertisements

I recently bought a second Premiere for my other TV and started transferring shows from my first one to ease it's burden :)

But I'm noticing an interesting thing... All of the movies that I transfer lose their description data. They still have their basic one line description but they lose the movie art and the channel and time it was recorded, etc. When using the iPad TiVo app, these all show up with just their title and say "To be announced." and the menu options are strange for it as well, such as "Get a season pass" - for a movie?

Oddly enough, I transferred an episode of a show and it came over with everything.

Do I have a problem? Or a mild annoyance?

Important things to mention, in case they are part of the problem:

Both TiVos are upgraded to 2TB drives and super sized using the guide at this site.

This new TiVo is not setup for decoding a signal yet, I have to wait for Verizon to come out and "install" the m-card (translate - wait a four hour window for a guy to slap it in the back of the box!) - but it does know what channels it should be expecting.

I'm transferring something on the order of 50 movies, started last night and it is still working on it - so maybe the data will come when it is done?

In case I'm doing something wrong, I thought I would post here - and if not, maybe I can forward on to TiVo as a bug.

2. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    I don't have a Premiere or an iPad, but in general MRV and TiVoToGo transfers lose some of the metadata in the process. It always drops the channel data and I usually lose the episode number during MRV.

3. solutionsetc

solutionsetc Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Don't waste your time... Tivo has known about it for years.

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I ran into that using MRV to backup one S2 to another one prior to a hard drive upgrade on the first one, only with regular shows 'cause I wasn't backing up any movies.

Also, when I transferred back to the original S2 the record date had been changed to when I transferred the program to the second machine.

And furthermore, the two machines haven't been consistent about whether or not they would put transferred programs into folders or not.

Here's something to try:

Install Tivo Desktop (the free version) to your computer (set aside a nice big partition and change the default location for the My TiVo Recordings folder to there.

Then transfer from the first TiVo to the computer and then transfer from the computer to the second TiVo.

I'm just getting started playing with TiVo Desktop myself, but it seems to preserve original dates if you go from Tivo A to computer to Tivo B.

5. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Advertisements

Did an experiment with 2 S2 DTs. Transferred (copied) to computer via TiVo desktop, then transferred from computer to other TiVo.

Everything preserved, you'd think I'd originally recorded the show on the second Tivo.

6. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Did you get channel info?

7. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you mean, does it say what channel the show was recorded from, then yes.

My test show was recorded in Penn. or somewhere up there before the unit was sold to me and sent to me here in NC.

When I checked my other TiVo to which I had transferred it from the computer, it still showed those unfamiliar call letters, ahd I think it showed the channel number as well.

I didn't really notice if the channel's network logo appeared alongside it in "Now Playing" or not.

Shortly after I ran this experiment the target TiVo went south on me, so I can't go back and look at it, but I'm reasonably sure that the TiVo to computer to 2nd TiVo transfer had nothing to do with killing it.

8. timepieces141

timepieces141 New Member

May 8, 2007
    I'm terribly sorry I never returned to my post!

Thank you all for the great information. I too tested it and found that if I transfer the shows to my desktop with the PC software, that it retained the meta data. I could then transfer it to my 2nd TiVo and it would again retain it.

Extra work for a little meta data ... so probably not worth it. But good to know!