Mtv recording every episode question

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Billyh1026, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Oct 8, 2007 #1 of 10
    Billyh1026

Billyh1026 Randal Graves

May 20, 2006

Advertisements

Does anyone know why (or better yet, how to fix it) recordings from Mtv are starting to record every episode instead of just first-run episode's? It's irritating to have to delete all the eps I don't want recorded. PLUS, it's a pain in the butt, with the version update, now that every time I delete something in my To Do list it jumps back to the top of my To Do list.

2. Oct 9, 2007 #2 of 10
    Stylin

Stylin Stylish Jane Sixpack

Dec 31, 2004
    NYC
    It's not TiVo's fault but actually MTV's. They don't enter unique guide data, i.e. story description of upcoming show, so that TiVo can decipher what the "first run" show truly is. I go through this weekly with many networks that do not list unique guide data (Oprah, South Park). Usually on a Sat. or Sun. I go through the weeks upcoming "To Do" list and purge the mischeduled recordings by viewing "upcoming episodes". It's the only work around I've found so far...

3. Oct 9, 2007 #3 of 10
    NJ_HB

NJ_HB TiVo/MCE/PSP

Mar 21, 2007
    Piscataway,...
    Someone else on this forum suggested setting up manual recordings for the MTV stuff so it will only record on that specific day/time.

4. EVizzle

EVizzle ^^MacGvyer^^

Feb 13, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    manual is the only foolproof method. I have record all set and just go through the todo list and delete the weekly marathons, but keep the rest and pick through the rest. Not ideal, but I usually run into issues with recording at a specific time because my higher priorities interfere. Now that I have a S3, I use my S2 for all mtv stuff and shows that overlap with my other tuners.

5. kmcorbett

kmcorbett Member

Dec 7, 2002
    Newton MA

Advertisements

I activated the Fall 2007 Guru Guide, which turned out to be a kind of WishList with auto-record enabled. For a few weeks I found this somewhat useful for picking up pilot episodes of new shows and season premiere episodes of returning shows. This is how I picked up "Life" which turns out to be (IMO) one of the best new shows. I would have skipped it if it hadn't been recorded by the guru guide.

Then a few days ago my To-Do List filled up with dozens of crap shows from marginal networks including MTV, VH1, E, and others I refuse to watch. Girlfriends? Tila Tequila? OMG... unreal reality shows and brain-dead sitcoms.

Why? Faulty guide data caused TiVo to think these were all first-run showings of separate episodes.

In software engineering we have a saying: Garbage in, garbage out.

Bye-bye season guru guide... I'll miss you, but you're worse than useless.

/kmc

6. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    For some reason, I don't have this problem anymore recording the Real World. Maybe I just have enough stuff scheduled that it prevents RW from being recorded multiple times.

7. dre_dbldbl

dre_dbldbl New Member

Dec 2, 2005
    San Francisco
    I, too, was surprised with having these programs on the GuruGuide. I assumed it would just pick up the Fall 07 'traditional' network shows, and not the cable ones. If it helped, there's a way to check/uncheck the shows you want over what the guide scheduled. Having the Tila Tequila show preselected was definitely not a highlight for this guide. I wonder who's the Guru behind this guide :confused:

8. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    RW seems to have good guide data *most* of the time, except when they do marathons, which sometimes are still generic. (Though the guide data from MTV is often generally screwed since they switch what they're running fairly often. Even though I SP RW, I still manually pick a future recording fairly often, or group up a bunch of recordings for a marathon.. and sometimes they show one of their other shows instead.)

Heck, except for Mondays, even the Daily Show which essentially has become the name of the bad guide data syndrome, has good data nowadays, with the previous exception I mentioned.

9. flatcurve

flatcurve New Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Chicago
    It's a problem with the Tribune guide, because this happens on my Dish Network PVR too. Usually with MTV shows and Discovery shows. Right now I'm finding myself deleting Man vs. Wild and Dirty Jobs repeats.

10. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    One show I have had a problem with a couple of times this season is Survivorman. After recording the initial airing, Tivo will record it again over the weekend even the the guide data description is the same.