MSNBC video podcasts?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by bsmith1051, Mar 13, 2011.

1. bsmith1051

bsmith1051 Member

Nov 15, 2009

Advertisements

Has anyone been able to add a custom RSS feed for MSNBC video podcasts? When I try it (which takes about 5 minutes to enter the URL with the traditional remote!) the Tivo recognizes the feed correctly but then complains that it can't playback the video. MSNBC has "MP4" podcasts that are iTunes compatible and use h.264 video (424x240) and AAC audio (stereo 44.1k 80kbps) so I thought Tivo could handle it.

P.S. Here's the URL I tried,
    http://podcastfeeds.nbcnews.com/audio/podcast/MSNBC-MADDOW-NETCAST-M4V.xml

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Yeah, I've had these in my HME/VLC list for a while, and they always get transcoded. Could be the wrong profile level, not streamable, or somesuch; I haven't checked. I could watch them fine in HME/VLC, except they come out squeezed from 16:9 to 4:3 with bars.

Let's see... yeah, they're not streamable. qt-faststart fixes them. Although I still have to set my aspect to Full, which is annoying.

3. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    You might try this. Have iTunes pick up the podcasts and pull them into Tivo desktop plus it will run the conversion to MPEG 2 and send it to your Tivo. Tivo has to see MPEG 2 if it you have MP4 the file has to be converted. Why this does take a little time the result is watchable. An alternative is have iTunes as your pod catcher and use an Apple TV 2 to pull the native MP4 podcasts into your TV. It skips the conversion process and is somewhat faster. You can subscribe to the pod casts in iTunes and not have to mess with RSS feeds.
    So basically you have two choices, use a device that can deal with native MP4 flies or cross convert them to MP2. The Tivo desktop plus program will set you back about 30 dollars and if you go The Apple TV 2 route that will costs you about $100.00. Since a good chunk of podcasts are MP4 these days I recommend the apple route. Aspect ratio comes out correctly and not having to do conversions helps out the picture quality (even for web video).

4. teewow

teewow New Member

Oct 7, 2010
    I plug my HDMI laptop directly to the Tivo for streams that the Tivo does not entertain. Their podcast directory is pathetic. I have sent them SO MANY urls to add ... with no success.

5. KCcardsfan

KCcardsfan New Member

Feb 20, 2011

Advertisements

You can get these if you use VUZE and set download automatically. VUZE works with TIVO and can transfer videos, but it would be really nice to be able to get this straight to TIVO without the computer step. It would save some time.

6. KCcardsfan

KCcardsfan New Member

Feb 20, 2011
    I get the same result. I requested it to be added but that probably isn't usually succesful.

7. bsmith1051

bsmith1051 Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Are you actually using this approach? Can you spell-out more specifically what needs to be setup? I thought Vuze was just a bittorrent client. It has the ability to share with Tivo, apparently, but how does it work? Thanks for any suggestions!