MSFTools 3.2 error

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by Norman Ziegelmeyer, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Norman Ziegelmeyer

Norman Ziegelmeyer Member

Jan 29, 2017
    I trie4d using MFSTools 3.2 to copy working tivo Bolt toshiba 2tb drive to original tivo 500gb drive as a backup.i Used "msfcopy -s /dev/sdx /dev/sdy, with sdx=2tb drive and sdy=500gb drive. I got the error below. Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

mfs3.2 error.JPG

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Making a new thread to ask for help may not get seen by those who may be able to help you.You should post in the original thread to be seen there.

3. Norman Ziegelmeyer

Jan 29, 2017
    This is a new post, first I tried to use DVRBars to make a backup and when that failed I tried MSFTools to clone the drive and it failed.

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I can't help you there, but if you were to post in the MFSTools or DVRBars thread, they will be seen by the developers of those programs.

5. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    There is a small program on the MFSTools image that will attempt to fix that issue. Read the whole post where you downloaded the MFSTools image for the information you need.

6. Norman Ziegelmeyer

Jan 29, 2017
    Thanks, I tried to use the -bootsectorfix argument but can't figure out the syntax. Drive is "SDI" could you show proper command. Thanks

7. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    In linux the syntax is case sensitive.

bootsectorfix /dev/sdi

kpeters59 likes this.
  8. Norman Ziegelmeyer

Jan 29, 2017
    That worked but in the next step I got this message

second error.JPG

9. Norman Ziegelmeyer

Jan 29, 2017
    Is the cable card info the only thing that KMTTG can't backup and restore?

10. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Does the drive boot in the TiVo okay?

11. Norman Ziegelmeyer

Jan 29, 2017
    It did when it was removed years ago, it is the original before I upgraded to 4tb Seagate. Does the error indicate a defective drive?

12. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    It is possible that it is bad. I would boot the drive in the TiVo and see if it boots currently. If it boots, retry the command. If you still get an error, the run KS 58 on boot up to see if it repairs the issue.

13. Norman Ziegelmeyer

Jan 29, 2017
    What is KS 58, How do I do it, is it a command from mfscopy prompt?

14. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    When your TiVo is booting, you will see the yellow light flash. When it does press the pause button followed by the numbers 5 and 8. If the code was accepted, it will flash alternating yellow and green. In a few minutes it will reboot and say something like an update is installing followed by a green screen. Green screen can last a few seconds ot 3 hours. Following the green screen, it should reboot and boot up normal. If you get a green screen boot loop, then something is going on that cannot be fixed.

15. Norman Ziegelmeyer

Jan 29, 2017
    I removed a currently working 500gb drive from my other tivo and tried to copy to 320gb drive with"mfscopy -s /dev/sdx /dev/sdy"
    as before. I get the same message as below. Thanks

second error.JPG

'

16. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Run mfsinfo on the drive and post the results

17. Norman Ziegelmeyer

Jan 29, 2017
    Here is info requested let me know if it isn't readable.

mfsinfo-1.jpg

18. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    So if your drive geometry has not changed, the problem is that you have the drives in your copy command backwards. /dev/sde is your source drive. In you mfscopy command, you have it as your target drive.

19. Norman Ziegelmeyer

Jan 29, 2017
    I retried the procedure with the correct syntax and got the same results. Thanks for the effort but this is getting over my head so I think I'll look at KMttg and forget about the cable card issue. It looks like I can restore everything but the CC data and since I'm not interested in recordings all I would need to do is re pair the card to get back to where I was.

20. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Certainly would like to get this working for you. Maybe the geometry of the drives have changed.
    You can use the command lsblk -o name,size to determine the name and size of the drives in question. So you could identify you 500 GB and 320 GB drives. Before issuing the mfscopy command, verify the tivo drive by using mfsinfo. Then use the mfscopy command mfscopy -s source target If you could post pictures of the steps that would help.