MSFR Format failed

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by Crashdot, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Crashdot

Crashdot New Member

Oct 22, 2010

Advertisements

I tried to reformat my drive to see if this would allow the Tivo Bolt+ with four flashing lights to boot. The drive was recognized by MSFR, so I hoped it just had a corrupt file system. Unfortunately, there was an error in line 339 during the reformat process. When I run MSFR again, it says that there is no Tivo drive found.

What can I do?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    MSFR is not a re-formatter, it is a Tivo-space expander. It cannot work on blank drive.

3. Crashdot

Crashdot New Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Sorry I was confused since it is called MFS Reformatter. How can I initialize a drive for use in a Tivo Bolt? I tried putting it in the Bolt, but that did not work.

Thanks

4. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Yes, the Bolt will format it, but only to a certain size. Any remaining space not utilized is reclaimed by MSFR.
    Previous model, Roamio, will format drives up to 3TB, any larger and MSFR is used to expand it.

5. Crashdot

Crashdot New Member

Oct 22, 2010

Advertisements

Just to clarify, my Bolt + came with a 3TB drive. I'm currently getting four flashing lights but the drive seems operational as it was recognized by Windows and MSFR, and isn't clicking. I'm not sure if the drive or TiVo itself is bad now and unsure of what to do.

6. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You could try another power brick, more than 2 amps, but same volts.

7. Crashdot

Crashdot New Member

Oct 22, 2010
    I doubt that I have one. Have you heard of a recommended alternative to the Tivo model?

8. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Amazon?

9. Crashdot

Crashdot New Member

Oct 22, 2010
    The original PSU does not seem to be available on Amazon, and I see only used ones on ebay. Putting in search terms like "Tivo Bolt power supply" on Amazon returns many incompatible models so buyer beware. From what I can tell, what is needed is a 12V 3A or greater PSU with a 5.5mm X 2.5mm connector with positive center, while the length of the barrel is around 12-13mm. I ordered something but am not sure it will fit. Cheers

10. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Your search terms were too specific. The compatible ones will fit Roamio, Bolt, Mini. I have found 2 listed but they do not show the amps.

11. Crashdot

Crashdot New Member

Oct 22, 2010
    I formatted the drive in Windows and ran the Western Digital Data Lifeguard utility. The drive fails the SMART self test, so I think that's why the Tivo is rejecting it. Need a new drive.

HerronScott likes this.