MSD on "inherited" tivo 2

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mrjam2jab, Aug 11, 2007.

1. mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Still Learning

Jul 23, 2004
    Levittown, PA

Advertisements

I just want to confirm...(ive read so much about the changes but never really paid attention as i didnt think i would be getting a 3rd Tivo)

According to Tivo.com...

I currently have 2 Lifetime Series 2s...if my sister gives me her box that they dont use anymore, I will get the $6.95 MSD without having to go with any Minimum Time of SErvice plans?

2. nhaigh

nhaigh Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Lawrencevill...
    I don't belive that is how it works. You have to sign up for one, two or three years and then MDS is a $6 doscount on whatwever rate that is. I have the three year comitment which is what you need to get to $6.95 monthly.

3. riddick21

riddick21 New Member

Dec 11, 2006
    I have a lifetime tivo if I add another tivo to my account can i get the $6.95 rate with no commitment?

4. matthewwhite

matthewwhite New Member

Dec 27, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    no if you add a tivo to a lifetime you get $6 off only.

mimimum 1 year term @ 10.95 (16.95 - 6)

5. mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Still Learning

Jul 23, 2004
    Levittown, PA

Advertisements

Well...not what i wanted to hear...but i guess its not too bad to have a comitment...not like i'm gonna get rid of the service... :eek:

6. riddick21

riddick21 New Member

Dec 11, 2006
    I transfered my lifetime service from my S2 to my S3 and got 1 year service on my S2. When the year is up how much will I be paying?

7. matthewwhite

matthewwhite New Member

Dec 27, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    how much you pay will depend on the subscription you put on the box.

you will have to add a new sub to the box with current terms.

with lifetime and lowest length of contract it's 10.95

for 6.95 you have to sign a 3 year contract. at the end of the 3 years it will continue month to month @ 6.95 (or 10.95 after a year if you did the 1 year contract)

8. SullyND

SullyND W: 45-31 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    At which point, given the price that NEW units are going for, you have to question whether resubbing a used box makes sense.

9. aus1ander

aus1ander New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    True, but isn't the contract transferable, or does that not apply to the MSD? Say if he used his old S2 for a year 1 under the MSD with a 3 year committment, and he bought a TiVoHD a year from now, I thought he can "swap out" the old S2 for the new TiVoHD under the same contract and continue paying 6.95/mo. Until, of course, TiVo changes their terms.

10. jmace57

jmace57 Large Member

Nov 30, 2002
    San Marcos, TX

I thought for a minute, this was one of those "If a plane crashes on the Mason-Dixon Line, on which side wil they bury the survivors" questions....

I thought the answer was "nothing".

Oh never mind.

Jim

11. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Yes, the contract is transferrable to any box that currently doesn't have a subscription attached to it. For example, I have a Series 2 box that was subbed at $6.95 MSD on a month to month basis. I can xfer that to a THD box and keep the same terms.

On the other hand, if I CANCEL the S2 box and then sub the THD, the only way I could get $6.95 MSD is to sign up for a new 3 year term.

So, if you want to replace an existing box, it's almost always better to just move the contract, which you can do yourself online under manage my account without having to even call Tivo customer support.

12. riddick21

riddick21 New Member

Dec 11, 2006
    so does the lifetime transfer count as a one year subscription? Will I be paying 10.95 at the end of the year? I'm planning on getting a TivoHD and transferring the service I have on my s2 to it but I only want to pay $6.95

13. aus1ander

aus1ander New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    The lifetime transfer counts as a "qualifying" subscription for the MSD. Your S2 should show up on TiVo.com (under Manage Your Account) as a separate subscription, but probably as a "gift subscription". You can check and let us know what it says.

At the end of your "free year" on the S2, it should automatically revert to a monthly price, probably 10.95/mo. But the true answer your question is... nobody really knows. The complexity is that the MSD, in its true form, is for new activations only. Your S2 (which lost its lifetime to the S3) was probably reactivated on a gift subscription or a 1 yr prepay that TiVo automatically credited. Either way, this was probably a "full price" subscription that TiVo paid for.

If this is the case, there is a possibility, at the end of the first year, that your rate will go back to $16.95/mo. If this happens, you don't actually need to pay this price. Just cancel your subscription on the S2 and re-subscribe under the MSD. For 1 year, it would be 10.95/mo, 3 years would be 6.95/mo. At any time, you can swap a TiVoHD into that account without having to renew your contract.

Hopefully, TiVo will be smart and just enroll you in the MSD automatically, but there is no guarantee this will happen. BTW, if you do enroll in the MSD automatically and get charged 10.95/mo, you could call Customer Service, agree to 3 years, and have that rate drop to 6.95/mo.

14. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    Your box essentially has a 12 month commitment sub on it now that Tivo is paying for. Because it is currently on a 12 month prepaid commitment sub, you'll automatically revert to the 12 month monthly rate which is currently $10.95.
    The only way to pay the $6.95 rate is to call tivo and commit to three years of monthly service.

All non-lifetime service only subscriptions are transferable as long as the new tivo is not purchased from tivo.com.