MSD after Canceling a TiVo Premiere

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by 14940674, Oct 12, 2011.

1. 14940674

14940674 New Member

Oct 10, 2011
    I am new here, so if this question has already been asked, I'm sorry.

I am in the 30 day risk-free phase of the lifetime service I purchased for my Premiere XL. I would like to buy a Premiere Elite, and take advantage of the MSD. Here is the catch: I don't need both an XL and an Elite. What happens if I activate an Elite and purchase lifetime for $399, and then cancel the XL's lifetime? I assume TiVo will raise the price on the Elite's lifetime to $499. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

2. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    I don't know, but don't see how they could charge you the difference after the fact. I would read the full terms and conditions for MSD on the Tivo web site just to be sure.

3. 14940674

14940674 New Member

Oct 10, 2011
    I went ahead and read the T&C, and noted this passage:

TIVO RESERVES THE RIGHT TO IMMEDIATELY SUSPEND OR TERMINATE YOUR TIVO SERVICE SUBSCRIPTION AND/OR YOUR USE OF THE MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT IF YOU GIVE TIVO INACCURATE OR INCOMPLETE INFORMATION OR IF YOU ARE NO LONGER ELIGIBLE FOR THE MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT.

This suggests that my proposal wouldn't work.

4. PatMcNJ

PatMcNJ Member

May 21, 2006
    It might work. Last week I got a Premiere to replace my broken Series 3. While waiting for the new hard drive for the Series 3 to arrive, I was using the Premiere for that week. Meanwhile, I hard about a $99 lifetime for Series 2s special offer.

I called Tivo and they gave me $99 lifetime on one of my series 2s, they said I was eligible because I bought the Premier. Then I repaired my Series 3, and returned the Premier, and cancelled the premier service.

I still have that $99 lifetime on the Series 2. I would have kept the Premier AND the Series 3, except it was making me nuts with all the buggy behavior, ie freezing up to all remote commands. I still have 4 Tivos running here.

5. David_SG

David_SG New Member

Jan 4, 2007
    McLean, VA
    I'm actually in the same situation. I bought a Premiere XL 2 weeks ago not knowing when the Elite would come out and bought a lifetime subscription. Just bought an Elite last night and purchased a lifetime - only option was for $399. So curious as to what happens when I cancel the membership on the XL. I suspect they will charge me an additional $100 (or only refund me $399 instead of the full $499).

6. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    I have done this before. Just wait a while before getting rid of the original box. You may also find having two (one for the bedroom, etc.) and streaming or transfering shows to it is the cat's meow. At least, we did. Now we have 4 around the house.

7. El Gabito

El Gabito Member

Mar 10, 2004
    Indianapolis...
    Do you get MSD if you have one on month-month an want to put one on lifetime? Let's say I currently have a premiere and pay $20/mo and buy an elite - can I get lifetime on the elite for $399.99?

8. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Most likely yes. But you can easily check yourself just log into your account at tivo.com and see what comes up.

9. Scyber

Scyber Former ReplayTV User

Apr 25, 2002
    You can keep lifetime MSD at the reduced price if you remove the qualifying TiVo from your account. Monthly TiVo's will jump in price. In addition, if you buy another TiVo, you iwll not be able to get MSD on it. That is b/c you are required to have one non MSD tivo on your account to qualify for new MSDs.

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    How do you figure out which TiVo is the primary one?

11. Scyber

Scyber Former ReplayTV User

Apr 25, 2002
    Call Tivo? I don't know offhand.

I only know the details b/c my only full price TiVo is a series 1 that I actually gave to my brother a few years ago. It is still on my account since he doesn't use it anymore, but I can't add a new MSD tivo b/c it hasn't dialed in recently. The last time I added a Tivo I simply had him plug it in for a few days and it worked. Of course now he no longer lives in the US, so that might be a challenge if I get a new Elite.

12. Charles R

Charles R Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    I ran into this issue. I upgraded/sold several Premieres and unknowingly sold my first unit... the one I paid $499 for lifetime. Talking with customer service they agreed to refund $100 if I purchased another Lifetime and keep the unit past the 30-day return period.

13. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I guess I need to find out before I sell my Premieres. Although I guess it could be one of the S3 boxes still on my account. I gave them to my girlfriend when I got my Premieres. She was supposed to call TiVo and get them put in her name but she never did it.

EDIT: I just used chat. It only took a few minutes. I guess I'm good. Basically any of the boxes on my account, except for the $6.95 monthly one can be the primary TiVo. That is the one I plan to keep anyway. Although there was no mention of the Elite being being able to be the primary. But maybe that is also because it hasn't been on the account 30 days yet.