MRV Work around.. but NOT in HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by TexasGrillChef, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Aug 3, 2007 #1 of 13
    TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    I have found that the Neuros OSD (Available at BB & CompUSA)

Is a great work around for MRV on Tivo HD/S3. Although it doesn't do HD. It does work!

Here is the link...

http://www.neurosaudio.com/osd/osd.asp

I have the slingbox Pro. I love it... but this thing SEEMS to be better.

Although I have only had it 3 days now.

I would like to know has anyone else tried this as well? What do you think of it?

TexasGrillChef

2. Aug 4, 2007 #2 of 13
    JoeBorn

JoeBorn New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Hi, I'm from Neuros and happened to see this post.

We'd love to hear how others are using the Neuros OSD with TiVo, not just MRV, but also getting tivo recordings onto handhelds ( iPods, PSPs, iPhones, even laptops) This is an area we're very interested in automating so it'd be great to understand how you all are using it (or would like to use it). I'll expand more if this is something folks are interested in talking about here.

BTW, we're not at BB yet, just CompUSA.

3. Aug 4, 2007 #3 of 13
    supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    The intro video on the page linked explains that this device first records/transfers the media file to itself and saves onto a USB drive or flash memory, and then can be accessed from there over the network.

Hmm...Seems like comparing this to a Slingbox is apples to oranges.

ETA: This all, not to mention the eventual release of the SlingCatcher...

4. Aug 4, 2007 #4 of 13
    JoeBorn

JoeBorn New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I'd say this is accurate, although the OSD is open source and there are lots of modifications. AFAIK, while there has been some rudimentary streaming done, no one has done a real slingbox with IR blaster control of the TiVo, etc.

It's more like a recorder for creating portable MPEG-4 files that can be played anywhere. However, if you set those up in an automated way, then you can retreive those files from anywhere within or outside of the house and view them remotely, which is sort of a different way to skin the "view remotely" cat if you will

5. Aug 4, 2007 #5 of 13
    sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Basically streaming vs store and forward.

If you can make the store and forward model as transparent as Slingbox streaming I think it is a good alternative. If not then it really needs to implement streaming to operate in the same space as Slingbox.

Slingbox's biggest selling points are that
    1) it works and is stable
    2) you can setup it up very quickly
    3) you can operate it very simply

Just moving the file to a network accessible server and then locating the file while travelling is beyond the capabilities of most of the Slingbox users, except the most advanced ones.

The other thing you lose with store and forward is there is not interactive control. It would be hard to configure your TiVo to record a new show using store and forward. The latency of the interaction would make it unworkable.

Not trying to bash the product, I think it sounds like it does a fine job with what it was designed for. It may work well with a subset of the Slingbox userbase, but without streaming it has serious limitations for mass Slingbox user appeal.

On the other hand it does do something that Slingbox users have been annoyed about every since Slingbox effectively locked out Appian, namely you store the video and I think that will appeal to some folks.

I think this product is more comparable to a TTG alternative than a Slingbox or MRV alternative.

6. Aug 4, 2007 #6 of 13
    JoeBorn

JoeBorn New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, that was certainly the original design intent. I probably should start a discussion on that area, although as you said, if store and forward is seamless enough then there's overlap. Well maybe more discussion on that later...

7. Aug 4, 2007 #7 of 13
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Won't waste time or money with this. I'll wait for the real TTG/MRV coming this year and enjoy HD transfers as well... TGC seems convinced TTG/MRV will never happen for HD channels despite Tivo senior management saying otherwise. I side with Tivo management on this one.

8. Aug 4, 2007 #8 of 13
    nhaigh

nhaigh Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Lawrencevill...

I agree. It seems this may be of interest to someone who only has an S3 based TiVo and ned a solution for the next couple of months (assuming TiVo's info about TTG/MRV being in the fall being honest). The market is presumably not really the TiVo user (90% of TiVo's do can do this today) as the vast majority but the folks who have the competitions DVR's or no DVR at all. It may be something TiVo should worry about as it could be seen as enabling the competition to level the playing field.

One thing, how does this differ from a PC recording in MPEG4 the video output of any of these devices through a video capture card?

9. Aug 4, 2007 #9 of 13
    sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I think this product tries to idiot-proof that model and further uses an open source development model.

Other than that conceptually they are doing the same thing.

10. snathanb

snathanb New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Joe.. I've been using the Neuros Recorder 2 for about a 2 years in conjuction with my Tivo to record music videos for my daily treadmill/eliptical workout at the gym. I record onto CF and pop it in my Dell Axim, which i take with me everywhere. I also record onto microSD and playback on my Samsung Blackjack.

It's a neat little device. The only problem is having to enter schedules twice. Once on the Tivo and again on the Neuros. Fortunately, most of my recording is same-time every-day, so both tivo and the neuros handle a repeating schedule of this type with a single addition.

11. Chimpware

Chimpware New Member

Jan 30, 2002
    I just use Snap Z Pro on my Mac with my Slingbox Pro. It lets tou record any stream on the screen directly into a quicktime file, and no need for any additional hardware if you have a slginbox.

12. JoeBorn

JoeBorn New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks! That's good feedback. Yeah, it seems like there are three primary uses for portable video like this 1) treadmill at gym 2) roadwarriors and long commuters 3) parents looking to keep kids entertained. I'm very curious about the "tivo2go" market, but I'll ask that on that forum...

13. rodalpho

rodalpho New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    If it supported HD I'd be interested in it from a XBMC perspective to stream videos from my computer over the network to my TV. But it doesn't, and I already have a slingbox, so not so much.