MRV with used Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by HmeTinkerer, Jan 29, 2010.

1. HmeTinkerer

HmeTinkerer New Member

Jul 9, 2009

Advertisements

I have two Tivos (1 HD, 1 Series2) networked in my house that I use for Multi-Room Viewing. I recently purchased a used Series2 that I planned to use in the garage to watch recordings from my other Tivos. Being in the garage with no cable outlets, I figured I didn't need a service agreement since I'd just be transferring programs from my other Tivos.

When I first plugged it in, I could see my other Tivos listed, but when I selected them, the message was something like "No programs recorded" or "No Programs to transfer" or something like that. I figured I just needed to reset the new Tivo so I did the guided setup and rebooted. After doing that, however, my other Tivos were no longer listed on the garage Tivo "Now Playing" page. I forced a connection to Tivo several times and rebooted, but still nothing. Where did the other Tivos go? I read on here that "Enable Video Downloads" has to be active on your Tivo to get MRV working. I could not do this for my garage Tivo, however, since it is not associated with my account. When I try to associate it with my account, I am required to pick a service agreement - which I don't have much use for since I get no reception/channels. Do all Tivos have to have an active subscription to work with MRV?

2. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    Yes.

3. SheliaP

SheliaP New Member

Jul 29, 2005
    Woulld this also apply if you:

Used Tivo Desktop to transfer the recordings to your PC

Used the PC to transfer to an old Tivo that did not have an active account- and was only hooked up through the PC network?

I would like to transfer some things to the bedroom set- which is just acting as a TV tuner at the present and DVD player. Would like to know if anyone has done this, and if it works ok. I know it would not necessarily transfer HD content- at least I don't think it could even going through the PC and Tivo desktop.

4. pdonoghu

pdonoghu Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Upper...
    You need an active subscription to use any of the network features. Without an active subscription on a Series 2 or 3, you can buffer a 1/2 hour of live TV, play back previously made recordings, and that's about it.