MRV transfer speed from S3 to S2 SLOW...

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tough joe, Jun 11, 2008.

1. tough joe

tough joe Member

Sep 16, 2006

Advertisements

Hi all.

I have 3 tivo's Here is the break down. (best quality recordings only - never hd)

1) Computer Room model 652 (this is the HD model but I never record HD - only Best quality)
    2) Master Bedroom model 649
    3) Living Room model 540

Transfering from #2 to #1 and 1 to 2 works fine. Takes about twice as long to transfer a show than the actual length of the show. (ie 1 hour show takes about 2 hours to transfer).

However I recorded a few shows on tivo #1 and attempted to transfer them to tivo #3. One show, "Ice Road Truckers" recorded in Best quality I started yesterday morning at 8am, and by 5pm, it was at 17 percent. By 8pm that same day, it was still at 17 percent. I stopped the transfer and restarted both tivos and started the transfer again this morning at 8am. It is now at 3 percent (3 hours later).

What is the problem here? I dont seem to have a problem transfering shows from tivo #2 to #1 and visversa.

They are all connected via powerline bridge using netgear xe102 - as seen here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Netgear-Wall-Internet-Powerline-Adapter-Bridge-XE102_W0QQitemZ270244796008QQihZ017QQcategoryZ67262QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is my tivo just slow? Is it freezing up? Is there anything that can be done here?

Anthony

2. JamieP

JamieP Member

Aug 2, 2004
    Try swapping tivos #2 and #3. If the problem stays with the tivo, it's a problem with the tivo. If the problem stays with the room, it's a problem with your power wiring or powerline bridges. They are relatively slow (max 14mbps) and claim to adapt speed based on the noise on your power circuits.

3. tough joe

tough joe Member

Sep 16, 2006
    thanks - i'll try that.

fyi: I tried to cancel the transfer on tivo #3 and it gave me the "please wait" message for about 20 minutes before I unplugged the tivo and plugged it back in. Not sure what's going on with this unit but odd things like that just started 3 weeks ago. If it is the power ethernet adapters, can you or anyone recommend faster powerline adapters?

4. tough joe

tough joe Member

Sep 16, 2006
    well it looks like it was the powerline ethernet adapters. not sure but when I unplugged all of them in my home and plugged them all back in, then restarted all of my tivos.... I started the transfer from my tivo hd 1 hour show (recorded in best quality) at 1pm. Its now 3:25pm and Im at 10 percent. So i've doubled my transfer speed by just unplugging/plugging the adapters. that's about where i was at prior.

Any ways to increase the speed? you mentioned the ethernet adapters were slow, are there any recommended adapters that are faster?

5. JamieP

JamieP Member

Aug 2, 2004

Advertisements

A direct wired ethernet connection is always best (that is, no powerline bridges or wireless). If that isn't practical, you could go wireless, with a wireless AP or router near one tivo, and a TiVo wireless adapter or a wireless bridge on the other two. I believe there are faster powerline bridges available too, though I have no direct experience with them.

6. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Usually best, sure. Always best. nope. I have three S2's: 240, 540 and 649 and I have three Tivo wireless adapters. Transfer rates on the 240 and 540 are consistently 1.5 - 2 times faster when connected with the Tivo wireless adapter versus a wired connection and transfers on the 649 are almost 2.5 times faster.

7. tough joe

tough joe Member

Sep 16, 2006
    unfortunately i dont have the ability to add a bridge or wireless adapter. does anyone have any real world experience with other powerline ethernet adapters?

I would hate to spend $100 for a new set of 84 meg transfer rate adapters if they dont transfer at 84 megs - or if the tivo itself has a transfer cap to begin with which would stop/inhibit the full 84 meg transfer speed.

8. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    There is another option if you, by any slim chance, are a Verizon FIOS subscriber. Use a NIM-100 to pick off the IP traffic from the coax.

9. JamieP

JamieP Member

Aug 2, 2004
    Sounds like something is broken on your wired network. Bad cables? Too long a cable run? Bad switch?

Point taken. It is possible to screw up a wired network, and a good wireless network can outperform a bad wired network.

10. JamieP

JamieP Member

Aug 2, 2004
    The TiVo definitely does limit performance and you won't see the full 84mbps performance. On the other hand, it sounds like you are far far below this performance now. You should be able to MRV best quality recordings at faster than realtime with a good network.

11. tough joe

tough joe Member

Sep 16, 2006
    Sorry not a fios subscriber. Still in analog hell as I simply can not afford new tivo hd's to upgrade to, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE my dual channel recordability on my units.

Well then, I think I might have to try a new set of powerline adapters. I dont use direct ethernet line in any of my tivo's. My network stuff is all in one room and the tivo's are in 3 different rooms. fyi- I have a linksys broadband router set up with mny DSL network - its all 10/100 so im not going to get gigabit speeds, but my existing powerline ethernet adapters are at 14mbps - i may go to Best Buy and try a new set of 84mbps powerline adapts. and see if I notice a difference. If I do, I may just keep them. if i dont, i'll return them.

12. JamieP

JamieP Member

Aug 2, 2004
    ?? I didn't say anything that implied fios, as far as I know.

You do have one tivohd. If you have cable, it might be worth your while to get cable cards for it so you can record the digital signal instead of analog. The recordings are typically better quality and take less space than realtime encoding of an analog signal.

13. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    I also use the NetGear XE102's, and while I am happy with them, they also need occasional "rebooting" just like with a computer. If I don't, transfer speeds start to crawl and eventually just stop.

14. tough joe

tough joe Member

Sep 16, 2006
    sorry - i was referring to rocko's post above and then was referring to your post.

15. tough joe

tough joe Member

Sep 16, 2006
    does anyone know what the rated transfer speeds are of my tivo units. (see original post)? for example, should i expect to get 50 megs or 85 megs?

16. tough joe

tough joe Member

Sep 16, 2006
    anyone?

17. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
  18. tough joe

tough joe Member

Sep 16, 2006
  19. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
  20. tough joe

tough joe Member

Sep 16, 2006
    AWESOME! Thanks for the info. I am going to copy part of that FAQ here to help out others - I could of swore I read that faq a few years ago but I forgot many info of it. Thanks.

How fast can I transfer recordings between TiVos?

The TiVo appears to have a set throughput limit for all activity on the DVR. The more you are doing on the DVR, the slower files will transfer between TiVos. For example, if you are recording two different HD programs while watching a third, previously recorded HD program, MRV transfer speeds will be slower than if you were watching live TV with both tuners set to SD channels (or channels you don't receive).

Wired transfers are obviously faster than wireless. Wireless 802.11g throughput is limited to 15-17Mbps on the TiVo, and could be 10Mbps or less if you have a weak wireless signal.

Throughput will vary depending on whether you are transferring between two Series3 DVRs, two TiVoHD DVRs, or one of each.

Series3->Series3

Under ideal conditions, the TiVo Series3 can transfer files at up to ~44Mbps (20Gb/hour) to another Series3 on a 100Mbps network. Under more typical viewing conditions, throughput will be 20-30Mbps, depending on whether you are watching or recording SD or HD channels.

At 30Mbps, the typical one-hour SD recording will transfer in less than 8 minutes. One-hour of high-definition can take as little as 20 minutes or as much as 35 minutes to transfer from one Series3 to another, depending on the channel, content, and how much it is compressed by your provider.

With two Series3 DVRs on a 100Mbps network, there are no viewing delays and most high-definition recordings transfer fast enough to skip commercials.

TiVoHD->TiVoHD

The TiVoHD can currently transfer recordings about half as fast as the Series3. MRV throughput (i.e. transfer speed) between two TivoHDs is up to 21Mbps under ideal conditions, and 12-15Mbps under typical viewing conditions.

At 12-15Mbps on a 100Mbps network, it is not possible to watch >15Mbps recordings from another TiVoHD without delay. High-definition recordings with lower bitrates, such as those made from FOX-HD, UHD, HBO-HD, SHO-HD, and STARZ-HD can generally be viewed without delay.

Series3->TiVoHD

Throughput from a Series3 to a TiVoHD falls somewhere between Series3->Series3 and TiVoHD->TiVoHD transfers. One user found 24Mbps under ideal conditions and 16-20Mbps under typical viewing conditions.

MRV throughput between a Series3 and TiVoHD on a 100Mbps network is sufficient to watch most high-definition recordings without a delay, or with a very short delay.

To put this in context, recordings from ABC-HD and FOX-HD typically have a bitrate of 10-14Mbps, while recordings from NBC-HD and CBS-HD typically have a bitrate of 14-18Mbps. Premium movie channels like HBO-HD and SHO-HD are typically 11Mbps or less. Your MRV throughput (i.e. transfer speed) must match or exceed the recording's bitrate in order to eliminate viewing delays. Throughput should be at least 1.3x the recording's bitrate in order to skip all commercials on the fly.