MRV slow with 14.9.2.2? Getting more of the show. Please wait a moment, then press

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by weinberk, Dec 17, 2011.

1. weinberk

weinberk Confirmed Doofis

Jun 12, 2001
    NYC Metro Area
    Edit: I'm a moron. I forgot that in my attempt to fix MRV crashing my boxes before 14.9, I set the tivos' ports on the switch to run only at 10mbit....

Is anyone seeing slowness ("Getting more of the show. Please wait a moment, then press PLAY") please wait messages) when transferring and watching a show from one 14.9 premier to another? This is over an enterprise grade Cisco gigabit wired network (of course it only runs at 100mbit for the tivos).

A little history:
    Before, when we only had series 3 hd boxes, this was the norm. We'd have to start transfer of an hour long HD show and wait 25 minutes or so to be able to make it through uninterrupted (including skipping commercials). Once we went to premiers, this problem went away and they worked much faster, being able to transfer faster than realtime.

Then for some reason in July 2011, MRV stopped working correctly. It would reboot the receiving tivo after a while, no matter if we went to watch while transferring or attempted to let the transfer finish first.

I've wiped drives, replaced drives, and swapped out all of the networking gear. To eliminate any issue with home wiring, I even put the TiVo's side by side connected through another gigabit switch with 3 foot cat6 rated cables. No luck. I gave up.

Along came the 14.9 update and MRV is working again (a BIG hurray). However, even with only 720p HD shows, it's now pretty slow and I get the "getting more of the show" messages again.

I see no indication of bad drives. There's no recording quality issues or freezes. Plus these are new drives that I put in after I thought my original mrv crash problem was due to one or more dud drives.

I can certainly live with this, but would love to have the transfers be quicker. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I'm still getting 80mb/s to 90mb/s transfer rates between 14.9.2.2 Premieres. With Dlink gigabit gear. Once it starts transferring it continues at many times faster than realtime.

Are you sure there are no connection/cabling problems?

3. weinberk

weinberk Confirmed Doofis

Jun 12, 2001
    NYC Metro Area
    OK, this is really really really (really) embarassing.... I mentioned this new problem to my wife just now, and she said "didn't you slow the network down last month to see if that would stop the crashes?" Guess what? I DID!! I had the ports set to 10mbit. Pathetic that it took my non-techie wife to solve this one :)

That's obviously changed now, and all is well in MRV land! Now I just hope is stays working. I can't tell you how frustrating it's been these last 5 months not having MRV.

4. shamilian

shamilian Member

Mar 26, 2003
    NJ
    After the update to 14.9.2.2 my first MRV failed after 10 minutes of a 30 minute show ( it just stopped downloading ). I downloaded another program it succeeded but at 30mbit/s. I rebooted both machines and still 30mbit/s. A test a couple of hours and rate increased to 87mbit/s.

I think after the upgrade there is still some work being done in the background for a few hours...