MRV, MAK, TSN, ownership changes, recording lock-in

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by unitron, Apr 22, 2011.

1. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If I buy a used TCD649080 that's got service for another month, and I get the MAK from the sellers, I assume I can re-run guided setup and just make it look to TiVo like I moved from one state to another. Then, when the sub runs out, the old owners can take the machine off of their account and I can add it to mine and start up a new sub for it.

But, in the meantime, if I setup TiVo Desktop on a different computer on my network from the one currently running it for my other 2 DTs, and tell that version of Desktop the old owners' MAK, and transfer to computer stuff I record while the rest of the old sub is in force, once I activate the new machine as mine, and it gets the same MAK as the rest of my machines, is there any way (moving shows from one computer to another, reinstalling Desktop, etc) to copy the shows recorded under the old sub back to the machine that recorded them in the first place.

Does Desktop strip out the TSN id on each recording and replace it with the MAK?

Or, if I get the machine, re-run guided setup so that it can deal with my cable provider, and let the old owners' sub run out before activating it under my account, at which point the MAK would change from the old one to the one on my account, can I copy off shows I recorded on the old sub to computer using the new (to that machine) MAK, and view them on whatever TiVos on my account haven't broken down at that point?

Thoughts, theories, lessons painfully learned?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If you just transfer from their account to yours, the MAK will change to yours. I think the prior owner needs to call Tivo and tell them its sold to you/email.

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Recordings are tied to the MAK. If you transfer shows from the Tivo while it still has the old MAK, you won't be able to transfer them back when the MAK changes, unless you use something like tivodecode or directshow dump to strip the MAK encryption from the file.

4. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Thanks, I was afraid of that.

5. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Seems like a lot of work for one free month of service. Why bother?

6. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    But if I transfer it right away, I lose the rest of the sub they've paid for and have to commit to a year of payments, and I may be using this one for parts in a few weeks. (It's a complicated situation)

7. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Are you sure about that? I believe the sub is transferred along with the Tivo TSN from 1 to another Tivo.com account.

Ask Tivo... 800-367-8486

8. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    From TiVo's website:

"Can I transfer my TiVo service to a new owner?

Only Product Lifetime Service can be transferred to a new owner. If you want to give a TiVo DVR with any other service plan to a new owner, you first must cancel or transfer your service to a different DVR so that the new owner can create their own account. You can transfer Product Lifetime Service because it belongs to the DVR, not the owner. To transfer Product Lifetime Service, contact TiVo Customer Support.

Once you have transferred or canceled your service, tell the new owner to visit www.tivo.com/activate to start their own service agreement."

Seems to me the only way I can get the rest of their sub is to pretend to be them living in a new state until it runs out, and if anybody wants to argue theft of service we'll just say I'm borrowing it until the sub runs out, at which point the ownership, for which I've already paid, changes hands. Searching support at Tivo shows no results for "loan my tivo", so if it isn't prohibited, as far as I'm concerned, it's allowed.

9. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You would not need to re-install Tivo Desktop to change the MAK, its on the menu. Alternative is to use Tivodecode with that MAK to strip it and then you can transfer to the other Tivos.