MRT the hard-way

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by snarkoplepsy, Jul 19, 2007.

1. snarkoplepsy

snarkoplepsy New Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Note: This is a similar topic to this thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=359515

I've been thinking about Hi-Def MRV, and was wondering if it might be possible to do it w/o any help from the Tivo itself, with off-the-shelf parts. Making something similar to a slingbox, w/o the video reformatting. (i.e. a slingbox converts the video signal to something that can be displayed on a computer or cell-phone. I just want to redirect the HDMI signal to an alternate location.

I'd need:

(1) something to split or switch an HDMI signal (or a component RGB signal) to send the Tivo signal to a TV in another room

(2) An IR blaster like device to forward remote commands from the other room to the room where the Tivo is

Code:
    --cable-->Tivo-->splitter-------->TV1
               ^       |
               |       |
               |       +----------------------------------TV2 (other room)
               |        
               +------------------------------------------IR Blaster

Sound doable?

2. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    First I do not think you can split HDMI
    second distance plays a significant factor in HD transmission and actual cable quality plays a significant part in that
    third - does the S3 output component and HDMI at the same time or does HDMI knock out the component output

so an idea but these questions need to be figured out

3. Rucker

Rucker Member

Sep 21, 2006
    Actually, you can. There are active and passive splitters. AFAIK, passive splitters won't work with HDCP, so you'd want an active one. For example, here is one on monoprice.
    That's very true of HDMI. The reviews say the splitter above is only good to 10m, so if you need a run longer than that, you'll need an HDMI equalizer. You'll also want a good cable.
    I believe, but am not certain, the Tivo will output HDMI and component at the same time. IIRC, I have my DVD recorder hooked up via component (and use it for the save to vcr function).

4. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    It depends, although I haven't figured out the exact parameters (has something to do with HDCP and the protected nature of some shows).

Sometimes is works, sometimes it doesn't. Leaving the TV on seems to help (pointing to HDCP tie ins), but sometimes that isn't feaseable.

5. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Yep, sounds doable. Instead of a splitter how about outputting HDMI and component simultaneously? (one to the local tv, and one to the remote) Should work for most channels/providers and would be much more affordable than a switch. I think the Harmony 890 does RF->IR but I'm too lazy to look it up. I've also seen a few other RF->IR solutions.

EDIT: Wonder how long you can have a HDMI cable before you run into problems? I was using 35' component cables when I ran my projector and it wasn't a prob. HDMI would be clean for a long distance though because it's small and includes audio. Hm. My living room TV is probably within 25' of my bedroom TV by going through the wall.

The other benefit of this solution over TiVo's MRV (assuming it existed with the S3) is that playback is real-time - no transfer, no buffer.

6. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

here is a starting point fir HDMI length
    http://www.hometoys.com/htinews/dec05/articles/accell/hdmi.htm

7. Rucker

Rucker Member

Sep 21, 2006
    Check ZeoTiVo's link. I've heard of guys doing over 50ft runs with an equalizer on avsforum.com, however.

8. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    PowerMID system off eBay.. I got one for $15 a few years ago.

9. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    HDMI can be slpit. There are several HDMI splitters available. Although they are expensive.

There are splitters that will split 1 hdmi single to 2 hdmi, or 4, or 8 or 16.

Best Buy, Circuit City and many other retailers of HD-TVS' use them to run the same HI-Def signal to all of their DEMO HD sets.

Long distance, Multi-Room Remote controls, IR Blasters are available almost everywhere and there are over a dozen models of each available on the market.

TexasGrillChef

10. Revolutionary

Revolutionary Too sleepy for TV...

Dec 1, 2004
    Virginia
    For that matter, I'm pretty sure that I've seen RF-to-IR remote extension systems, so you don't need to run an IR cable all the way to the TV. Search AVS, as I think I encountered it through one of the threads over there.

And yes, the Tivo will output component and HDMI at the same time (I've done the side-by-side on my TV to see if I could detect a difference btw the inputs -- I could not).

11. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    Difference between Analog Component and Digital HDMI.

Some HD-TVS you can notice a difference, Some you may not. It all depends on what you are watching, & if what you are watching is in 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i.

On my 65" TV, I can not tell the difference between Component and HDMI when the signal I am watching is in 480i, 480p, & 720p. I CAN notice a difference when using HDMI and component and the signal is 1080i.

Keep in mind that 1080p signals require HDMI. However the Tivo S3 doesn't do 1080p so its a moot point.

FYI - If you have BLu-ray, or HD-DVD Use HDMI. Many of the Blu-ray /HD-Movies out there will LIMIT output signal to 480p or 720p if you use component. To get 1080p YOU MUST USE HDMI. 1080i is possible over component, however many of the HD-DVD/BLu-ray movies will not output 1080i over component.
    EXAMPLE. Pirates of the Caribbean (All), DOWNSCALE to 720p when using component.

Point being... If your HD-TV has HDMI, use it..... You paid for it!

I found at frys here in DFW, for $189.95 a powered HDMI Splitter. One signal in, 2 out. The output signal is amped and will allow you to use a HDMI cable of up to 150 feet. However, Fry's 150' HDMI Cables were $299.99. More than the splitter itself!

TexasGrillChef

12. SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    Not true. 1080p can be passed over component. Samsung DLP's support it... XBox 360 can output 1080p over component. Many other examples.

13. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    OK, I did some measuring and it looks like the living room TiVo is about 22' (around corners, through a wall, and to the top of the dresser) from the bedroom TV.

Think a cable like this might work without amplification?

HDMI Tin-Plated Copper CL2 Rated (For In-Wall Installation) Cable (22AWG) - 25ft (Gold Plated)

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...cs_id=1024001&p_id=2806&seq=1&format=2&style=

Normally I'd just drop the ~30 bucks and find out, but my bedroom TV doesn't have HDMI. This might be the last bit of motivation I need to replace it.

14. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    After I did some checking I find that you are correct. In some situations you CAN in fact get 1080p over component.

However, Their is still the issue that content providers CAN & DO limit programing when using Blu-ray/HD-DVD with component cables.

TexasGrillChef.

15. krille

krille New Member

Nov 24, 2002
    I think this is eminently doable. I've done exactly this, but with a much shorter cable run. (My bedroom and living room share a wall.)

If you can manage it, I'd use a wired IR repeating solution (especially since you're running HDMI cable anyway). I have a Hot-Link (http://www.hot-link.com/) and it works BEAUTIFULLY. They have a long-distance version that's supposed to work up to 70 feet (http://www.hot-link.com/distance.htm) - can't vouch for that one though.

I do split my HDMI signal to both my TVs and it's fine (I got a cheap splitter on ebay). I also have an HDMI switch that allows me to use my DVD player in both rooms.

If you're not sure about the length of the run, why don't you buy the long HDMI cable and connect it to your living room tv? If the signal looks good, try the same thing through a splitter. Then and only then spend the real bucks on a new HDMI TV for your bedroom.