MRS on Premieres

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by troasti, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Feb 3, 2012 #1 of 14
    troasti

troasti Member

Nov 12, 2008
    I know this has been talked about a little on other threads but just wanted to get input from others on their experience's and setups. I have one premiere downstairs hardwired ethernet into a router (ASUS WL-520g) G router flashed with DDWRT. I have a new premiere shipping to my house next week and was hoping to do MRS between the two premieres. The new tivo is not going to be able to be hardwired with the ethernet. Where the new tivo is going to go I have a tivo HD with a G wireless adapter that gets about 80-95% signal strength. What are the chances of being able to MRS over G with solid signal strength? If I don't have any luck should I dump the router for a new N router and get the tivo N adapter or just go straight for the MOCA over Coax?

Has anyone been successful with MRS over G yet? How about N?

2. Feb 3, 2012 #2 of 14
    harric

harric New Member

Apr 5, 2010
    I was able to MRS without any issues using an N router and a N ethernet adapter. I did not get the Tivo branded N adapter. I purchased the Netgear WNCE3001 adapter and it works fine.

3. Feb 3, 2012 #3 of 14
    spameater2005

spameater2005 New Member

Oct 31, 2005
    I am able to MRS using an N/G router (TP-Link WR1043ND w/ dd-wrt) and a G TiVo branded usb adapter. I am at about 75% signal strength. A show that is already recorded works perfect, but a show that is already in progress of recording did give me a little bit of a stuttered playback.

4. Feb 3, 2012 #4 of 14
    andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Houston,...
    One thing to take into account is fast forward and reverse. When I was using Wireless 'N' the fast forward was extremely jerky like the time between frames was very large.

After I changed to MoCa the FF with MRS is exactly the same as FF on the local TiVo.

5. Feb 3, 2012 #5 of 14
    aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    +1 for Moca.

6. Feb 3, 2012 #6 of 14
    troasti

troasti Member

Nov 12, 2008
    If I used MoCa I would need two adapters one for the Tivo and one for the Router correct? Then I would have to split the coax in the room where the tivo is so I can run one coax to the adapter and one to TA? Again my second Tivo is hardwired.

7. Feb 3, 2012 #7 of 14
    fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    I concur re MoCA. If one of your Tivos is already hardwired, you'll need two bridges, one at the router and one at non-hardwired Tivo.

I'd go with this deal on a MoCA kit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NETGEAR-MCA...299?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fcc6c873

8. Feb 3, 2012 #8 of 14
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Really? Even for 3xFF? Not for me. This is the one thing that doesn't feel the same as with local playback for me. So much so that for MRS viewing I tend to use 30 sec skip instead of 3xFF for skipping commercials. For local playback I still use 3xFF for skipping commercials.

9. Feb 3, 2012 #9 of 14
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It's not bad but it can never be as smooth as local playback. For streaming, I think it does pretty good. It does seem to be just as responsive to the button presses as local playback. But obviously FF and RW do not show you the same number of frames.

10. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Yes, I don't think it can ever be as good as local but it's really not bad, but different enough it makes me change my method of skipping commercials. MRS is working remarkably well though and for me is by far the biggest feature of this release. I never had issues with copy protection so MRV worked great, but I really like the fact you can MRS programs still recording on another unit, something that could never be done via MRV.
    I do wish as a feature that there was a way to stop recordings on remote units. As it is now I have to wait until a recording finishes before I can remote delete it. While they are at it also make it so pressing Play starts MRS of a show instead of having to drill into program details to start MRS (where Play does work at that level but it's kind of silly since it's no longer a shortcut at that point). I still find myself every day pressing Play when remote My Shows browsing only to remember that doesn't work the same way as local My Shows.

11. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Yes, it is quite annoying. However, I'm sure that eventually, the screen will be a part of the HD UI so it will act the same as My Shows. Hopefully this is one of the updates for the Spring update.

12. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I would prefer a quick patch to the existing interface since I don't like the HDUI and wouldn't want to use it just to get this functionality. I'm sure at some point the SDUI will go away completely (probably for the next hardware series) but until then I'll stick with it.

13. jdfs

jdfs Unspecial Member

Oct 21, 2002
    MoCA would be cheapest since you can get a pair for $79 on amazon. They have a built in splitter so all you have to do is connect them inline with the tivos.

14. fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    I was very pleasantly surprised. I really jump around a lot and I get easily annoyed by the normal delays in responsiveness in other streaming implementations. As you've noted, you get fewer frames when fast forwarding but the level of responsiveness is pretty close to local.

My provider doesn't flag anything other than premium channels (which I don't have) and I can transfer at 5X real time, but as you've noted, it's really nice being able to watch shows that are currently recording. Also, I have various content that I've pushed to my downstairs Premiere via Pytivo. Because these show up as downloads, they're not transferable, but can be streamed.