Mr. Robot S04E07 “407 Proxy Authentiation Required” 11/17/2019

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by boywaja, Nov 18, 2019.

1. boywaja

boywaja Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2001
    Northern...
    what an episode that was.
    feel like I need to watch that again. and then watch the entire series again.

sometimes I dont like it when shows get a bit too fancy, as if they're writing for the film school crowd instead of us. but this season has been crazy good.

lynncosbm likes this.
  2. GoPackGo

GoPackGo Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2012
    AZ
    I’m struggling with the ramifications here. Does this mean we’re not going to see Mr. Robot anymore?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  3. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I have felt that with every episode this season.
    The acting just keeps getting better - this episode reminded me how good Christian Slater can be - and I have always loved Gloria Reuben going back to ER - but she was great in this episode.

The meth head guy? I legit have no memory of him and whatever went down between him and Elliott. I need a recap.

lynncosbm likes this.
  4. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    I think this season has been great. I was hoping what happened was a ploy by Elliot or Mr Robot but society would not accept sexual assault as a plot twist. Will we see My Robot? I honestly have no idea. That's one of the best things about this show...I just don't know.

Steveknj likes this.
  5. mlsnyc

mlsnyc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009
    I’m sure we’ll still see Mr Robot and I’m dying to find out how that dynamic goes from here. What a bombshell.

6. Dawghows

Dawghows Liberal Elitist

May 17, 2001
    NJ
    Malek is out-of-this -world good.

lynncosbm likes this.
  7. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'm not all that happy that they went the "sexually abused" route (if that's actually true and not a ruse to distract the kidnapper). It's just not creative enough for this writer. But the way this was "announced" was great and had me on the edge of my seat.

8. markb

markb Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2002
    San Diego
    I feel like that revelation has got to affect the story in some way going forward, or this episode was just a waste, plot-wise. It would still be a good episode, if considered by itself, but the when considering the overall story, why bring back Vera at all? I suspect it will have ramifications. I guess we'll see.

BTW, why is it that Vera had a much easier time finding Eliot than Whiterose is having? Whiterose is much more sophisticated than Vera!

9. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    Act numbers, very classy. It was like an old film noir movie complete with thunder and rain (Key Largo?), although an old movie likely wouldn't have gone with that exact subject matter.. The term 'Emmy-grab' comes to mind.

10. markb

markb Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2002
    San Diego
    Also the music! Very dramatic. One part of the score reminded me of Hitchcock.

lynncosbm likes this.
  11. OhFiddle

OhFiddle Active Member

Dec 10, 2006
    Chicago Burbs
    I didn't enjoy this particular episode much. Like many, I had no memory of the Vera character at all until they brought him back this season. His long-winded story telling tended to make me zone out. So it's disappointing to have an episode where he's the dominant character with the most lines. I found myself looking at the clock, although that was partially due to the lack of commercials I imagine. I think they probably felt the need to delve into Elliot's multiple personalities a bit before the series ended, and it seems like early childhood sexual abuse is often the cause... so that aspect wasn't surprising.

I wonder how much altering of their season-wide plot or storyboarding they had to do to get the episode themes to fit the 400 error code episode titles. I didn't even realize that the one episode had no dialogue beyond the first couple of lines until I read it here, so that one was well done with the title theme.

12. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Can anyone remind us (me) about Vera and what happened between him and Elliott?

13. mlsnyc

mlsnyc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009
    Vera was from the first season. He was the drug dealing boyfriend of Elliot's neighbor who eventually became his girlfriend that season (she was played by the woman who created and stars in Showtime's SMILF). It's been a while so I can't remember the details, but Elliot crossed Vera and got him jailed, so Vera had his men kill the girlfriend to send a message to Elliot. But not before forcing Elliot to break him out of jail.

lynncosbm and Steveknj like this.
  14. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Thanks. I really do need to re-watch the series LOL

15. markb

markb Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2002
    San Diego
    The Mr. Robot wiki has a good summary of Vera's plot line for Season 1:

Fernando Vera

Basically, Elliot gets Vera sent to prison to protect Shayla. Vera figures out it was Elliot, and has his gang kidnap Shayla to force Elliot to break Vera out of prison, which he does. Only after Vera is out of prison is it revealed that Shayla was dead all along.

lynncosbm likes this.
  16. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I thought it was a great episode, except for Vera, who is far and away the least interesting character in this show. And since he was around so much, a lot of the great episode...wasn't great.

I wish they could have found another vehicle to get this story out. Because Vera really made a great episode not great.

photoshopgrl likes this.
  17. Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    This was a mixed bag for me. On the one hand they could've had the same session without Vera being involved thereby making him and the entire season's storyline with him superfluous.

On the other hand the Rami's and Slater's and Ruben's acting was amazing. The three of them should be up for Emmys for this episode.

On the gripping hand, overall this was an intense and amazing hour of TV.

lynncosbm likes this.
  18. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    Did they need the title cards for the acts because they didn't have any commercials?

19. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    It aired with commercials in Canada and they took the breaks at the Act breaks, so that might be one reason they broke it up like that.

20. secondclaw

secondclaw Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Florida
    Or to signal that the whole psych session was just an act ...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019