Mr. Robot S04E05 "405 Method Not Allowed" 11/3/2019

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by robojerk, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Nov 4, 2019 #1 of 33
    robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    "We don't have to talk about it"
    "It's cool, dude. We don't have to talk."
    "It's time we talked"

The only two lines of verbal dialect the entire episode...

So suspenseful despite no words..

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Tony_T likes this.
  2. Nov 4, 2019 #2 of 33
    series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    I havn't finished the episode yet (I like to stop sometimes and try to figure out the shooting location), but the first line above was more like, "It's cool, dude. We don't have to talk."

When Elliott makes a run for it past the cops he exits the building at about 541 W 27th St and runs East down 27th St, but some of the distant background is faked. For some reason the High Line bridge is edited out of the shot.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  3. Nov 4, 2019 #3 of 33
    robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    You are correct.. :)

4. Nov 4, 2019 #4 of 33
    TeddS

TeddS Obfuscator

Sep 21, 2000
    NYC
    The name of the dry cleaners - Murnau - is an Easter egg referring to a famous German filmmaker from the Expressionist era (silent films).

Craigbob likes this.
  5. Nov 4, 2019 #5 of 33
    Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    Damn... Last week Sopranos vibe, this week silent Mission Impossible. They're pulling out all the stops this season. Incredibly tense 60 minutes with virtually no verbal dialog.

Damn I'm going to miss this show.

6. Nov 5, 2019 #6 of 33
    jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    Just a reminder, the next episode will be earlier than usual, 8 PM eastern time to be exact. If you have a season pass, you may want to check it.

photoshopgrl likes this.
  7. Nov 5, 2019 #7 of 33
    Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    This show is just SO good.

Rami Malek is better every episode and I think Carly Chaikin is giving a brilliant performance. That entire scene last week with the drunk Santa was phenomenal.

I sometimes try to figure out NYC locations but I find they are forever and always not logical geographic sequences. I did accidentally pass through them setting up for one scene last season but didn't realize until months later it was Mr. Robot.

Craigbob likes this.
  8. Nov 5, 2019 #8 of 33
    Dawghows

Dawghows Liberal Elitist

May 17, 2001
    NJ
    I couldn't be more in agreement. They are both incredibly compelling. In this episode when Elliot sort of collapsed by the sink for a minute, I told my wife he was giving me a stomach ache.

photoshopgrl likes this.
  9. Nov 7, 2019 #9 of 33
    mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Not only the great work in the episode but all the computer knowledge you pick up.(kinda) I freeze frame the computer scenes to try and see what's what. Impossible to do when streaming a show. Same for sports. Slo mo and frame by frame

10. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    They never cease to amaze at how real they keep all the tech.
    Just caught up. I'm going to miss this show! My only complaint about this episode was zero Mr Robot so that means zero Slater for me. But that's superficial. ;)

11. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    The ironic part for me anyway was that there was some commotion in my house so I put on the sub-titles. It took me 45 minutes to realize that i really didn't need them :) Got some interesting song lyrics though. Some of the stuff was a bit implausible to me, like, if they are typing on a keyboard in a completely silent room, there is NO WAY that a security guard wouldn't hear that and follow the noise. But I'll forgive it. Such a fun episode!

12. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, it reminds me of way back when Marvel Comics did a "silent" month (where none of their comics had any dialog). Only Mr Robot made it work a whole lot better than most of the comics did! (Like you, it took me way, way too long to miss the dialog!)

13. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I thought the same about the typing but I just hand waved it thinking the fans on the servers were probably loud because they can be in a huge server room and she was in the back of the room and I think paused a few times when he was near...... maybe? :)

14. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It's the same phenomenon where (in movies and TV, at least) if two people take a couple of steps away from a third person and talk in a normal tone of voice, the third person can't hear them. ;)

15. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    That makes sense, but we didn't really hear the fans (but that could be because the show's soundtrack didn't let us? I don't know).

photoshopgrl likes this.
  16. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Yep. And in this case the guard is in the next row and then decides to go a different direction than where they were. Also a typical TV trope. Usually this show doesn't follow typical tropes, but this time they did. That's fine, it's such a good show I can forgive them. And normally this stuff doesn't bother me (and it didn't this time), just pointing out that there were a couple of things that "normally" wouldn't happen that way.

photoshopgrl likes this.
  17. mattyro7878

Nov 27, 2014
    When you're getting so much right it's hard to be picky about things other shows do ALL THE TIME!

Steveknj and photoshopgrl like this.
  18. mattyro7878

Nov 27, 2014

19. mattyro7878

Nov 27, 2014
    I checked as Elliot got into his sister's car. Back door didn't open. I could have sworn Mr Robot interacted with a few characters. I am probably wrong. Who can see him? Just Elliot?

20. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Just Elliot. But when we see him "interacting" with other characters, that's just from Elliot's perspective. To everybody else, they're just dealing with Elliot no matter who's "talking." (Sometimes Elliot and Mr Robot physically switch places, but other times they're just both there and there's no visual cue that they've switched.)

photoshopgrl likes this.