Mr. Robot "eps2.0_unm4sk-pt1.tc" / "eps2.0_unm4sk-pt2.tc" OAD 7/13/2016

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by sonnik, Jul 13, 2016.

1. sonnik

sonnik Innovations.

Jul 7, 2000
    Phoenix,...

Advertisements

Solid episode. :up:

Sam's direction was exceptional.

2. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    May need to re-watch. Might have been distracted or sleepy.

The deeper insanity aspect in these first eps seems to let them throw in whatever crazy story elements they want and then write them off (i.e., J. R. Ewing's dream). Hope they don't lose me. Loved last season.

3. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    I thought it was an excellent opening episode.

4. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    I liked it but I'm still a little lost with some scenes. For example: who was the woman who found a package gift wrapped on her doorstep with a phone in it?

5. mrdbdigital

mrdbdigital The TBS Archives TCF Club

Feb 2, 2004
    Moultrie, GA

Advertisements

It was Pam Ewing's dream, not J.R.'s.

6. sean67854

sean67854 Why?

Jul 11, 2001
    Wouldn't...
    I was distractedly watching this while working, but did they stop censoring the f-word?

7. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    Came to update that, thx! :)

8. sonnik

sonnik Innovations.

Jul 7, 2000
    Phoenix,...
    Yes. I think USA gave Sam Esmail this degree of freedom based on the critical praise for Mr. Robot last year; USA has reportedly been wanting something a little more edgy like this.

Joanna Wellick, dark muse wife of Tyrell Wellick.

9. sonnik

sonnik Innovations.

Jul 7, 2000
    Phoenix,...
    Cool easter egg from the post show. .

The QR code that Elliot had sketched takes you to Confictura Industries.

After I read the article, I also noticed Elliot's composition book where he was writing all of this was manufactured by Confictura Industries.

10. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    Is Leon real?

11. deli99

deli99 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2003
    Redondo...
    Not sure. Didn't he get the basketball, and have the guy take it from him? At first I thought that interaction meant he was real, but maybe it was just Elliot giving the ball. I don't think we saw who it was.

12. mooseAndSquirrel

mooseAndSquirrel Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Whatsamatta U
    ugh. Just reading that question makes me not want to watch S2

13. sean67854

sean67854 Why?

Jul 11, 2001
    Wouldn't...
    As season 1 proved, just because we see someone doing something, doesn't mean they are real. I think the only proof beyond any doubt is if Elliot and the other person are independently acknowledged by an observer. Like if a waitress had come by and talked to each of them.

It's not like in the 6th Sense where he never interacted with anything.

14. GoPackGo

GoPackGo Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2012
    AZ
    I think Leon is real. It's the way Elliott's analog life looks to him (or us) that is not real.

15. sonnik

sonnik Innovations.

Jul 7, 2000
    Phoenix,...
    I'm pretty sure Leon is real, as I doubt that an element of Elliot's imagination would know that much about Seinfeld.

16. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I also think Leon is real.

Ray however......

17. sonnik

sonnik Innovations.

Jul 7, 2000
    Phoenix,...
    Noticed something odd about Elliot's environment.

It's almost as though he's doing some sort of jail time or psychiatric supervision.

• His "program" follows a strict pattern...
    • Krista - asked "why your mom?" instead of "why are you living with your mom?"
    • The references about being seen by Darlene implied her visits were not frequent, and Angela wasn't mentioned. Gideon may have been a visitor.
    • Leon seems a little off. Ray seems a little off.
    • His other primary settings were the diner (which could have been the way Elliot perceives a cafeteria) and the basketball court.
    • He spends time cleaning, and doesn't seem to be worried about income.
    • We see him walking down a row of town homes, but this could be the way he perceives cells.

In the last episode of Season 1, Krista's ex stated that Elliot was being investigated, but they did not have enough evidence against him as Elliot proxied through Estonia - and they wouldn't be able to get that as evidence unless the government of Estonia fell, and it did.

So, while they don't know who is behind 5/9, they may have brought in Elliot for the small petty hacks he may have done for his personal self interests.

18. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Ooh, intriguing!

19. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I was surprised at the f-bombs. USA has been letting Suits letting get away with cussing for a while but they've never dropped an uncensored f-bomb.

You mean to tell me that in all of NYC, they couldn't find ten guys who could actually play basketball? Also, it's New York. People are just going to stand around while a guy dumps $5+ million on the ground and pours lighter fluid on it without someone trying to stop him and grab some of that money?

I really could have used a Samuel L Jackson recap of season 1 before watching these episodes.

20. sonnik

sonnik Innovations.

Jul 7, 2000
    Phoenix,...
    I'd imagine it had something to do with the fact he was wearing the mask (at least at first).

In the fictional world, perhaps F-Society has a greater stature than we understand - and passerby didn't want to interfere. Or perhaps people didn't think it was real money.

I agree - I don't think people would pass it up in reality.

Good choice of music in this scene (as well as the series overall).