Mr. Robot "eps1.7_wh1ter0se.m4v" OAD 8/12

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by sonnik, Aug 12, 2015.

1. sonnik

sonnik Innovations.

Jul 7, 2000
    Phoenix,...
    So... I guess this one explained a few things.

2. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    A few. :)

3. IDSmoker

IDSmoker Member

Apr 10, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Was I the only one surprised by the "Darlene is Elliot's sister" revelation? (the "Mr. Robot is Elliot's father" one, not so much)

4. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Or "Elliot based Mr Robot on his father"...

5. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    For a split second as Elliot looked at those photos of his dad, I said to myself, "Wait, Mr Robot is actually Elliot?" That would have been an unexpected reveal. :)

6. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Did not see that coming at all, although the instant she jumped up after the kiss I knew it. The episode was already getting weird when Darlene showed up in Angela's ballet class... I was like WTF? They know each other? Then by the end it all made sense.

They got me with that one though!!

I thought exactly the same thing for a few seconds... I was thinking geez, is Christian Slater what everyone sees Elliot as, and only we see him as Rami Malek?? That would definitely have been freaky. I will say I also didn't anticipate Mr. Robot being based on Elliot's father, although that wasn't a big surprise.

7. Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    Count me amongst those who thought that Slater was Elliot and who we see is a figment. The revele that Mr. Robot is Elliot's father was not so big a surprise. Darlene being his sister, now that I did not see coming.

8. TeddS

TeddS Obfuscator

Sep 21, 2000
    NYC
    +1

9. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    They got me too.

I knew that there was something more they weren't telling us about the relationship between Darlene and Elliot.

Her air of familiarity with Elliot and his apartment. The way she would talk to him. The fact she dropped everything to help get Shayla back.

When they showed Angela and Darlene at ballet class, I was puzzled at first, thinking, "did they show us Angela and Darlene together before?"

Then I assumed that Angela knew Darlene and introduced her to Elliot.

I did not see that she was Elliot's sister.

Mr. Robot being in the image of Elliot's father didn't occur to me until just before he decrypted the photos.

Elliot is mentally breaking down but so is Tyrell.
    Are we seeing parallel breakdowns?

What exactly did Mrs. Tyrell do to the baby?

10. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I guess Evil corp not only killed Angela's mom but Elliot's dad. That is the motivation.

Is Elliot schizophrenic?

I think I just need to be clear on those two things.

11. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I think she inserted the fork inside of herself to break her water. She said something like "I will not let them take you from us" so I don't think she wanted to harm the baby. However I think using a fork, and doing as quickly as she did was probably not the safest thing to do, but she was desperate.

I too for a moment thought Elliot was Christian Slater, and the actor we see is just a figment of his imagination. He truly is crazy.

12. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I need a Mr. Robot For Dummies book.

13. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    In previous episodes, Elliot and Mr. Robot have talked about Evil Corp's role in Mr. Alderson's death . Angela confirmed it at Gideon's party.

I don't know if schizophrenia is the correct diagnosis but Elliot is definitely mentally ill and appears to be suffering from delusions and multiple personality disorder at minimum.

One thing I noticed that Darlene asked Elliot had forgotten who she was again, which means it's happened before.

I thought it was something like that.
    I'm not sure how much she really cares about the baby though.
    The producers made a point of showing her chugging that wine down at the CTO's house.

14. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
  15. UTV2TiVo

UTV2TiVo Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 2, 2005
    Sacramento...
    Also when she demanded Tyrell engage in some bondage with her even after he said it was risky for the baby.

16. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    Me too. The reveal about Elliot's dad was no surprise since I'd seen the idea here. So Darlene is his sister and actually exists while Mr. Robot is his Dad and doesn't exist?

I wonder sometimes how much of this show I would've figured out if I never came here and only watched it on my own. Not much. :)

17. UTV2TiVo

UTV2TiVo Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 2, 2005
    Sacramento...
    This episode brings up a lot of questions. Beyond the obvious Darlene-sister, mr Robot-father ones...
    -What does Mr. Robot (Eliot?) have to do with Welleck? Their meeting in the limo suggests they have known each other a long time. Not so sure about Mr. Robot not being an actual person now. Otherwise, why would Welleck treat Eliot like he did at Steel mountain?

-How did the Dark Army leader (and how creepy is he/she?) know that Ollie would send to deliver the hard drives? If they specifically told him to send Eliot wouldn't that cast to much suspicion on Eliot?

-I was under the impression that Welleck's wife was the really evil one telling Tyrell what to do. But it appears that she didn't know about him strangling the CTO's wife.

18. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Way back in like episode 2 or 3, Darlene showed up at Elliot's apartment and wanted to stay there. As viewers, we were made to believe he just met this girl and that she was creepy and stalkery for showing up unannounced and expecting Elliot to let her stay there. But now, with this new info, it makes Elliot seem like a real d-bag for kicking her out when she claimed she had no other place to go.

If the Slater character turns out to be a figment of Elliot's imagination/delusion, why do we often see the Slater character appearing to observe what Elliot is doing from afar, when Elliot doesn't even appear to notice?

What if it turns out Elliot's dad isn't dead and Slater's character is actually real?

19. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    That would be pretty cheaty, considering all the times they've shown such strong evidence that Mr Robot and Elliot are the same person (i.e., nobody ever acknowledges both of them at the same time, even when anybody would if they were both there, like when Mr Robot is causing a scene yet everybody ignores him and focuses on Elliot). I would prefer to think that's the Mr Robot personality waiting for his chance to emerge.

It will be interesting to see where they're really going with all this!

20. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    Since Elliot seems to be the only compentent one at AllSafe, Ollie would just assume getting him out of the office was help ensure the attack on their network would succeed.