Mr. Robot "Eps1.2d3bug.mkv” (S01E03) OAD 2015-07-08 ***spoliers***

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by MikeAndrews, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Jul 9, 2015 #1 of 57
    MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...

Advertisements

What was Elliot's bug?

I finally tuned in that nobody looks at Mr. Robot but Elliot. He is imaginary.

Based on "Here's the plan" it looks like Elliot is the lead of fsociety. I wonder how he pulls off being in the mask.

The Chinese are blackmailing Ollie and Tyrell Wellick is a Russian spy who can play gay to get a source with a pregnant wife way into bondage ?

They're everywhere! They're everywhere.

Note: Hospitals don't refuse to release you pending a Psychiatrist's OK. You'd have to be involuntarily committed to a mental ward and that is in no way easy.

2. Jul 9, 2015 #2 of 57
    stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    I always heard that if you tried to commit suicide they made you stay under observation for a length of time. I don't think anyone bought his story of thugs pushing him over the edge.

So at least we know that most of the other characters are real, since we saw most of them without Elliot being present.

3. Jul 9, 2015 #3 of 57
    madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    His desire to get back at the company that killed his father, apparently, especially if they did it knowingly and weren't punished. It wasn't clear to me whether the emails implicating the old CTO were planted or real; Elliot seems to think they were real.

I assume he just puts it on and makes a video. He's clearly in some kind of altered state at least some of the time (if Mr Robot really is just him--wouldn't that be great if Mr Robot/Christian Slater really is real, and they're just messing with us? :)) since he has no memory of creating fsociety or the original hack in the first place.

Was that Russian? I had no idea.

The Ollie plotline really annoys me so far... so, you got hacked by cyber criminals. Gee, if only there were someone you could talk to who was an uber-hacker and might be able to help you out with this? But where o where could you find such a person? I can't imagine.

4. Jul 9, 2015 #4 of 57
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Swedish.

5. Jul 9, 2015 #5 of 57
    MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...

Advertisements

Would any self-respecting computer pro put a random burned CD into a computer...A WINDOWS computer...that hasn't had auto-run turned off.

BUT how much ya wanna bet that that was how the US OPS got hacked by the Chinese?

They have luck with just leaving thumb drives scattered around.

6. Jul 9, 2015 #6 of 57
    justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    The first post about the Russian spy made me think, "Huh? What did I miss?" because Wellick and his wife were speaking Swedish. I'm not sure if he seduced/sexed-up the CEO's secretary just to possibly get an inside source to help himself make progress to becoming CTO or if he's just into that.

At this point I'm become more convinced Mr Robot is a hallucination, or just in Elliot's mind, etc. I really hope not. It looks like Darlene is probably real because Shayla mentions her at a later time, but I suppose that could be in Elliot's head too.

A vanilla latte from Starbucks? :eek:

I'm guessing Elliot is going to get Angela and Ollie out of their blackmail/hacker situation. Maybe Angela goes to Elliot, he helps her, making Ollie jealous, etc.

7. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    It wouldn't matter if you had auto-run disabled, if you tried to play something off the CD and it had a virus that your system was vulnerable to.

Anyway, I wasn't sure but isn't Ollie in marketing or something? I didn't think he was actually one of the hackers at Allsafe.

8. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I'm confused.

9. BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    Mr. Robot is definitely not real... They are being more and more obvious to get that across (the bar scene in this episode, for example).

10. sbourgeo

sbourgeo Hepcat Daddio

Nov 10, 2000
    New England
    I thought the Wellick scenes were really bizarre (slapping himself, paying a guy to let him beat him while wearing latex gloves, hooking up with the receptionist and hacking his phone, conversation and BDSM scene with his pregnant wife). No idea what this stuff means. :confused:

11. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    1) It has to be a hybrid data/audio CD that won't play in some CD players.
    2) AUDIO doesn't contain executable code, virii or not
    3) PLAYING an audio CD doesn't mean that there's a program on the CD that runs automatically
    4) I could put Ollie's CD in my Mac and I'd see see exactly how it's formatted, what it contains, it wouldn't play music, and NOTHING would run, and if it did it would ask me for a admin password

12. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Yeah. Mr. Robot is drinking an Appletini. Elliot asks for one and the bartender is really annoyed at the order of a foo-foo drink.

13. pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    And the scene at work - he's basically shouting and no one is paying any attention to the stranger in the workplace?

14. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Likewise, the bartender only looks at and talks to Elliot, never Mr. Robot.

15. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    My wife is tired of this show after loving episode 1. I'm worried I will get there too. It feels like it is progressing more slowly than it should in terms of revealing the hallucinations. But as of now, I'm still drawn in quite a bit.

I am still completely unclear on whether Mr. Robot's hacking room even exists at all after the scene in episode 1 where it seemed like it was an abandoned, completely filthy room.

16. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    It is definitely strange since it seems Darlene is real (she interacted with Shayla) but yet these people just randomly sit around in this abandoned building in the hopes that Elliot will show up? Why would they have all been waiting there at the end of the episode when all indications prior to that were that Elliot had said fyou to fsociety?

17. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    That scene with the two women was pretty disjointed anyway, though. I was unconvinced that she is real after that. He hallucinates real people saying/doing things throughout the series - how many people say "Evil Corp" for example?

18. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Presumably Elliott-as-Mr-Robot goes there from time to time to keep them going...

19. classicX

classicX Don't scream.

May 10, 2006
    Miles away...
    The gratuitous sex scene bandit strikes again, reinforcing my assertion that the vast majority of sex scenes serve no purpose in telling the story.

20. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    Just the fact that he's sitting their waiting at his desk kind of gives it away.

I hope the producers of this show don't think that the eventual reveal that Mr Robot is Elliot is going to be some giant shocker, because I'm guessing a vast majority of viewers know, and it will be a huge letdown.

-smak-