Mr Robot 4x11 12/15/19 "eXit"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Rob Helmerichs, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis

Advertisements

Hmmm...not sure I approve of their apparent and abrupt shift into pure science fiction.

But the show has earned an enormous amount of good will, so I'll roll with it and assume that it's something other than what it seems.

I'm not worried. Just...

Perplexed.

Steveknj likes this.
  2. speedcouch

speedcouch Geekneck

Oct 23, 2003
    North Carolina
    I don't think it's that at all. This Elliott is the real guy. In typical Mr. Robot misdirection, everything else has been his alter ego. This is is "the other one;" the guy who wishes he could be the hacker we've seen for three seasons.

A headache always signals a multiple personality coming on (at least other movies/shows I've seen.).

3. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    "It was all a dream"? Yeah, that would be even worse. And I have the sickening feeling you might be right...

4. panictivo

panictivo Registered Fool

Mar 3, 2001
    Arden...
    I was just happy to see:

• Angela had a complete recovery from the gunshots to the head, just like WhiteRose predicted.
    • Mr. Robot got less nerdy glasses.
    • Elliot got over the recent disclosures of repressed issues with Mr. Robot.
    • Elliot's theft all of the Dark Army money was part of the WhiteRose plan all along.
    • Elliot got to meet his twin or alternate universe brother to help with his paranoia / anger / revenge issues.
    • The future of the universe is controlled by an Apple II RPG.

It is a miraculous happy ending just like Game of Thrones.

I assume that next week will invalidate all my happy points.

5. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013

Advertisements

But unfortunately Darla isn't around in the new universe. Does she even exist there? Suddenly it went from December to May. Where's J.K. Simmons when you need him?

6. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    No, Elliot is an only child there (as Angela said).

7. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    No, she's still alive in the real world.

8. markb

markb Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2002
    San Diego
    Why was Dom there at the motel in the first scene? Was she a figment of Darlene's imagination?

9. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Just finished the episode. I'm really not sure what to think. I really hope this isn't really an alternate universe because if that were the case, he couldn't just show up there because he died. That was the main flaw in White Rose's entire thing (assuming alt universes were to exist). My guess is, this is something to do with his mental issues, another branch of his illness has sprouted.

10. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    That was a scene from last week, seen now from Elliot's perspective (before Darla and Dom went to the airport).

markb and photoshopgrl like this.
  11. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    This is "at least" my hope. That's kind of what I started thinking as it played out. He even said something like, sometimes I wish I could be a hacker or something of that nature. My thought was that this seemingly "normal" Elliot has the alter egos of the "hacker" Elliot, a rebellious sister that he doesn't have IRL, a dad who's not the nice guy he seems, and so forth. I don't want to see a SciFi, alt-universe ending. To me that just doesn't fit the series. I think he made up the whole fantasy to try and be the opposite of what he is. And I think the Apple II part will play into this. Maybe he's writing a Mr. Robot game on the side, maybe his dad started it years ago on the old Apple II as an old school text based RPG.

Or, it could be none of that. Looking forward to the finale to see how it plays out.

12. Dawghows

Dawghows Liberal Elitist

May 17, 2001
    NJ
    Is there a reason some of you are referring to Darlene as Darla?
    (Legit question; trying to determine if I missed something, which happens a lot in this show.)

13. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yes, there is a reason.

Sometimes, I mistype.

;)

Steveknj and photoshopgrl like this.
  14. Dawghows

Dawghows Liberal Elitist

May 17, 2001
    NJ
    Thanks. But you were not the only one. That's what made me think it was something I had missed in the show.

15. Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    This was a really big WTF for me, and this from series which has been full of WTF moments. I enjoyed this side track, but I've got no idea where this thing is going, but I'm a willing passenger on the ride.

TBH, at this point I've got no idea what's true and what's not in terms of this show anymore.

Is Whiterose really dead? Is this all in Elliot's head or what? Ought to be an interesting two hours next week.

photoshopgrl likes this.
  16. bbrown9

bbrown9 Active Member TCF Club

Mar 12, 2011
    I was hoping to capture Elliot's response to WhiteRose RE not giving up on this world. Unfortunately, my husband has a touch of OCD when it comes to deleting things he no longer considers necessary. Unsatisfied with a show being moved to "Deleted Items", he goes in there and permanently deletes everything. So this episode was deleted from my TiVo before I could capture that scene. Does anyone still have it? I would be happy with a transcription of what Elliot said.

I googled and read all the reviews and recaps that I found, but none of them had the whole speech.

17. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I can do that for you. Give me a bit to cut that scene and upload for you. :)

18. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The first thing that gave me pause was when Darlene addressed Mr. Robot directly after saying goodbye to Elliot in the parking lot.

And then when we jumped to "the new reality" where I did not miss Angela saying that this Elliot was an only child, I started wondering if Darlene was another aspect or personality of Elliot's Disassociative Personality Disorder.
    (And if so, what does that make Dom? :eek: )

Certainly this is a jump into "Twin Peaks" territory.
    I recognize that the potential for this was always there but I gotta say that it was somewhat abrupt.

And yet, I still have to see how this plays out.

19. markb

markb Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2002
    San Diego
    You should be able to watch on USA’s website, if you don’t mind suffering through the ads. You need to login with your TV providers credentials.

20. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    ...although that kind of thing isn't unprecedented. Usually, when Elliot and Mr Robot "switch off," they block it so that they physically switch places...but not always. Sometimes, people's focus shifts from one place in the room (where Elliot is) to another (where Mr Robot is).