MPEG4 Questions

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by ethanjacejacob, Sep 14, 2006.

1. ethanjacejacob

ethanjacejacob New Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Washington...

Advertisements

When will all the major cities recieve local channels in MPEG4? And is Seattle already doing this? I live 200 miles away in a city with local channels that suck. News people are amatures, very little National coverage, and very brutal to watch. So I gave them my parents address as my physical location that does not have local channels in there area. So now I get Seattle stations for the past 6 years and it's great. When Seattle offers Local HD channels in MPEG4 will I recieve them based on my location? THX

2. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    "All" major cities? Probably never. as not "all" major cities even have SD available.

They are expecting 60 DMA's to be up by years end...
    So probably by the end of 2007, anywhere that is covered by the SD locals, will be convered by HD locals (just my guess)

Seattle already offers MPEG-4 channels in HD.
    But... it is spot beamed, and thus unless the size of that particular spot beam is as large as the SD one...

But then again, what you are doing is in violation of DirecTV's policies so.... your millage may very

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Here in Seattle we currently have KING5 (NBC) and KIRO7 (CBS) beamed in MPEG4 HDTV from the 99-deg Ka-band satellite. Supposedly KCPQ13 (Fox) and possibly their sister station KMYQ22 will be delivered sometime in the next month. KOMO4 (ABC) has supposedly reached carrying agreement with DirecTV, but no word on when they'll be beamed from the satellite.

You didn't specify what city you're in (Eastern Washington?). It's quite possible that you won't qualify for the Seattle HDTV Local channels. But since you've "moved" to Seattle you're probably OK :)

4. ethanjacejacob

ethanjacejacob New Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Washington...
    Yes I live in Eastern washington, DTV told me that if I can get local channels right now then I can recieve HD channels.