MPEG4 for the #2 market Los Angeles

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Fyr Guy, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Fyr Guy

Fyr Guy New Member

Oct 20, 2005
    I was under the impression that the LA market was to be rolled out sometime in December. Anyone know when and how we will be notified when the upgrade will occur?

2. HogarthNH

HogarthNH DirecTV Addict

Dec 28, 2001
    Somewhere, OK
    Usually a postcard.
    Check also your bill.

As the NY and LA markets already have MPEG2 feeds, they have not been focusing the rollout on them. There's very little point.

I expect a stronger push when the HR20-250 comes to market. I expect D* is intentionally holding back a little as they don't want to answer the question "Why the heck can't I record these channels with a DVR?"

H

3. stingray

stingray New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    california
    I was told that LA where I live already has MPEG4, If I wanted to receive it ,I just need to get the new 5 LNB dish that will cost me $99.00 including installation. I have the HD HR10 and CS said that is already compatible with the new format. I asked what advantage will I get if I get the MPEG4 and she said better quality pictures but besides that nothing. I am already getting HD for my local channels. Later, she said there will be a lot of new channels in the new format but for now, there was really no benefit. I will wait.

4. herdfan

herdfan New Member

Feb 5, 2003
    Hurricane, WV
    The CSR lied. The HR10-250 is not compatible with the new format.

5. stingray

stingray New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    california
    That doesnt surprise me. She said that I could get caller ID through the HR10 and to go to set up and message and enabled called Id. I didnot see it and I went here and it said in a few threads that -caller Id was not possible with these HD receivers. IT was have been nice to see who is calling on the TV screen.

6. stingray

stingray New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    california
    So, does anyone really know when LA will be converting to MPEG4?

7. ScottP461

ScottP461 Member

Sep 3, 2005
    In my latest call to D* they told me that since LA already receives Local HD Channels (CBS, NBC, ABC and FOX) that are MPEG2 encoded, that they are NOT going to upgrade/replace existing MPEG2 equipment with MPEG4 and replace 3 LNB dishes with the new 5 LNB dishes in LA. They are going to concentrate on adding HD to markets that don't already have it.

Since NY and LA both have HD locals already, they are now working on ALL the other markets. Translation, don't hold your breath!!

I also asked about PBS, WB and UPN in HD. The reply was essentially the same, so don't expect to see these anytime soon, either.

8. stingray

stingray New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    california
    That's sucks! I wanted to upgrade my receiver and put an extra hard drive once I knew that I wont be swapping it, now with this information- I am in limbo.