MPEG-4 Tivo? Please...

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by wmckee, Nov 14, 2006.

1. wmckee

wmckee New Member

Mar 16, 2002

Advertisements

Hello,

Do you think there is any way that one will be able to buy a Directv Tivo box that will deal with the new HD format? Even if it is expensive and/or from one of the aftermarket outfits? I have no tv alternative and the DVRs that Dtv sells w/o Tivo are beneath contempt.

2. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    Extremely doubtful. Probably the only way it would happen is if just about everybody returned their R15 and HR20 DVRs, then Directv might catch on.
    Nobody can make an after market receiver without Directv's permission (And they're not going to get it).

3. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Highly unlikely you will ever see a TiVo powered unit, able to see DirecTV's MPEG-4 Stream.

4. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    It's very unlikely unless either DTV's churn among DVR users skyrockets or TiVo wins their patent case against Echostar in a slam-dunk.

5. Fluffybear

Fluffybear New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Georgia

Advertisements

While doubtful, there is a (very-very) small glimmer of hope. If News Corp were to sell D* than we might just see a new Tivo powered unit (sometime before the end of this decade)

Tribune is looking at selling their assets and News Corp has been discussed as a possible buyer and may need to look at getting rid of D* in order to fund the purchase of Tribune.

6. dimented

dimented Comfortably Numb TCF Club

May 21, 2003
    Somewhere...
    I don't know. With all the problems I have had with the 6.3a upgrade I might be willing to try the Dtv Dvr's. Neither of my HD Tivos have worked well since the upgrade. I am tired of my unit rebooting during a recording.

7. bbodin

bbodin New Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Houston
    then you played right into their hands :)

8. Smuuth

Smuuth New Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Colorado
    If you have not already done so, you may want to try the "Clear Program Information and To Do List" that has been recommended in other posts. I still have the audio dropouts but my HR10-250 has stopped the random rebooting since I did that.

9. jeffstra

jeffstra New Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Simi Valley, CA
    Keep in mind that this is like reformatting your hard drive and reinstalling your OS. You lose all your recordings and any other custom set ups. Its like when you opened the box and hooked it up. But it's fast again.

10. dimented

dimented Comfortably Numb TCF Club

May 21, 2003
    Somewhere...
    I am going to try the clear and delete, but I need to catch up on my recordings first. I will hopefully get to it this weekend.

11. Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    Not me.

HR10 is horrible, 12 dropouts during house.

Yet, HR20 requires 2 year commitment, is backordered, has TONS of bugs, and will require me to lose all my OTA. (Sorry, I watch more than the BIG FOUR.)

So buh bye, I'm canceling...

12. patg25

patg25 New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Connecticut
    Yes, House was horrible to watch last night. But D* will fix this bug, too. What's the alternative, cable? The S3 is also big $$$ and is not working that well, either. The DVRs they give you are at least a generation behind the HR10, and are in the order of $10-$15 a month. So if you have 3 or more of these (like my house) it will get expensive, too.

13. Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    Hmm, not really. My 3 DirecTiVo's and 1 HR10-250 should yield about $400 on ebay. So we're talking about $280 difference. Not that big $$$!

Then, I already pay for lifeline cable (with my cable modem), I plugged it in and get about 20 or so channels. Now we're talking about me SAVING about $42 a month from DirecTV's base package with the DVR fee. I will make up the difference in 6 months.

90% of what I watch is OTA, 100% of HD is OTA. So there's really no point in me staying with them...

Define not working well?? I haven't heard reports of the audio being interrupted 12 times for 20-30 seconds during a single show... I'm not going to use cablecard, so what isn't working well?

14. jcricket

jcricket New Member

Sep 11, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I know how you feel. Right now if you want to stay with DirecTV it's just "wait and hope they fix the bugs with either of their HD or SD DVRs" (although my R10 seems to be working fine).

My other choices are Comcast's crappy Motorola DVR or the $$$/buggy S3 right now.

F*ing non-customer-focused companies all around is what we have right now. Please, for the love of god, can someone make a working, responsive HD DVR. Stop doing everything else until you get that.

15. patg25

patg25 New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Connecticut

Moving to Comcast with their crappy Motorola DVR (1 for me, 2 for kids) = $85/month after "turn in your dish" rebate. That will go up to $132 / month after 16 months. Another HD Receiver to replace exising one I own = 9.95 / month. I already have DSL much cheaper than cable would cost me; no benifit there. Currently D* costs me about $88. So any new Comcast bill will be higher than existing D* bill for roughly the same stuff (give or take an HD channel). Inferior equipment for more money. Even if I get $400 for my Tivos on e-bay (hard to tell), how much would I have to pay for the S3 subscription / cablecards / etc. I am only considering it since my viewing habits are 99% HD Locals (1% ESPN for Monday Night Football, but I don't subscribe to the HD package).

THERE IS NO GOOD OPTION!!!

16. Smuuth

Smuuth New Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Colorado
    No it's not. "Clear and Delete Everything" does what you are talking about. "Clear Program Information and To Do List" does NOT delete any programs that are already recorded. It does delete any season passes you may have set and it clears the To Do list.

17. 5thcrewman

5thcrewman Active Member

Sep 22, 2003
    NW
    D* was a cheaper option than Verizon FiOS TV as well.

18. harley3k

harley3k New Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Not for me. I just converted to Fios-TV from D* and have 3 HD-DVR's in the house. FIOS doesn't charge you for an "HD Package" - you just get the HD channels. I'm paying about $15 less per month than I was with D* and I have added Stars and HD-DVRs in more rooms without paying outright cash for the DVRs or signing up for 2 more years like D* wanted me to do.

I still had 1 year on my committment with D* which costs me $12.50/month to get out of or $150 bucks, but hey since I saved about $15/month with FIOS, it was a no brainer.

I see no need to PAY CASH to LEASE a craptastic DVR from D* and get locked in for 2 years for fewer channels to basically beta test their HR20 for them, when I can get an equally craptastic DVR from FIOS and not have to shell out cash.

-h

19. wmckee

wmckee New Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Well that just sucks. A friend has one of the current Directv DVR's and the damned thing is just about a paperweight. When is the mpeg 4 thing going to happen and what will be offered in that format?

20. wmckee

wmckee New Member

Mar 16, 2002
    So FluffyBear was right? Any other thoughts on this subject? Looks as if sale will go through!