Mpeg 4 Help

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by saskwatch54, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Jul 7, 2007 #1 of 20
    saskwatch54

saskwatch54 New Member

Jul 7, 2007

Advertisements

I currently have 2 HR10-250. I want to know if with the new MPEG 4, will my units become obsolete? I am contemplating buying new Directv units that are MPEG 4 compatible. I live in the NY metro area, and one website that i read said that MPEG 4 was only being rolled out for local channels, not national HD channels. If anyone knows the answer, i would appreciate it.

thanks

2. Jul 7, 2007 #2 of 20
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    MPEG4 is being used for all new HD channels, including nationals (long list of announced channels for the fall) and locals. The HR10 is not yet obsolete, but increasingly there will be DirecTV content others are getting that the HR10 won't.

3. Jul 7, 2007 #3 of 20
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    As long as you can get OTA, the HR10 will never become obsolete.

4. Jul 8, 2007 #4 of 20
    drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    It sounds like the OP saskwatch54 is also interested in national HD channels, so OTA will not help in that regard. As stevel points out, the new national HD channels will be in MPEG4. The current national HD channels that the HR10 can receiver are in MPEG2, and these will likely be gone by the end of 2008. At that point, the HR10 can still function to record all SD MPEG2 channels (which will not go away for quite a long time) and to record your local HD OTA channels.

So if you are interested in HD beyond your locals, you'll want to look at alternatives to the HR10. You should check out the DirecTV forums at dbstalk.com for more information on the HR20, DirecTV's MPEG4 HD DVR.

5. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004

Advertisements

Interesting that you could infer that from his post. I even tried to read between the lines and found nothing quite that revealing.

One source, (wikipedia.org) defines obsolescence as:
    My interpretation of that is that the HR10 could be considered obsolete if it didn't get any of the channels you want, while another product could. So for a few viewers (those who don't want or can't receive local channels OTA and don't want SD channels either), it will indeed soon be obsolete. For most, though, it certainly will not, anytime soon. It certainly could function as a secondary HD/SD recorder even for those who acquire an HD/SD MPEG-4 recorder.

6. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I took it from the following line:
    The OP's reading indicates national HD channels won't be part of MPEG4 and with the inclusion of "only" on the local followed by "if anyone knows the answer", and coupled with the fact that the HR10 currently gets national HD channels, I took it as he/she wants to get national HD in MPEG4. I could easily be wrong, of course. ;)

7. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    Jim were you tired yesterday from answering all my questions ;) ....you forgot to add:

---------
    For the record, i got HDtivo only because i needed 2 more tuners and it was free. Then i put up rabbit ears and saw i could get some stations weakly...then bought a new hdtv...then put antenna on roof. Now i'm thrilled that it all worked out though.

8. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Basically the HR10 will become obsolete to HD channels when the New MPeg 4 rolls out.

It will still work with MPeg 2 Channels. So if you want to keep HD, best be getting ready to upgrade to a HR20.

9. Budget_HT

Budget_HT Heavy User (of TiVo)

Jan 2, 2001
    Renton, WA
    To clarify, the HR10 will be obsolete with respect to SATELLITE-delivered HD channels. The HR10 will support OTA-delivered HD channels for a very long time.

At some point, I will add an HR20 to my pair of HR10's if I get seriously interested in the new national HD channels. The HR20 would not replace my HR10's, but rather augment them. If I retire anything, it would be my oldest (series 1) SD DirecTiVo.

10. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Depriciated is a better word to describe it, not obsolete

11. BigBearf

BigBearf New Member

Aug 17, 2005
    I agree, I am planning to get one more HR20 (total 3) to run alongside my HR10s (total 8) and maybe retire or use my 4 SD DirecTivos for MRV purposes. I have also thought of using one of the SD boxes in my SUV to entertain the grand kid.

I will use the HR10s primarily and use the HR20s for MPEG4 content that is unavailable to the HR10s. Please D* let roll out a MPEG4 Tivo box or allow TivoApp to run on the HR20. I would pay extra for that opportunity.

BigBearf

12. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    If I am counting that right.... 15 DVRs ? -> 30 tuners?

And I thought I had a lot of receivers.....
    Guess you don't have many programming conflicts then....

13. Redux

Redux No intent to annoy

Oct 19, 2004
    So you agree with the opinion that existing mpeg-2 satellite-delivered HiDef channels are going to be taken away from HR10-250 viewers immediately? Essentially DirecTV telling existing customers to go to hell.

It certainly could happen.

More likely, there will be some kind of announcement with specific timelines, and Tivo HR10-250 users can make a decision at that point. Old DirecTV managers, with their jobs at stake, might want to get the new owners' direction on such a step.

Obviously a way out is to have an _impression_ be created that the death of the HR10-250 is imminent so customers will make panic decisions on their own.

With new ownership of DirecTV _in fact_ imminent, and the possibility of the very poor decision making of the last couple of years being fixed, seems to me that people whose needs who are being met by the Tivo HR10-250 might want to stick with what works and see what happens.

I doubt the new DirecTV will go back to Tivo, but the relationship could well improve, and the existing plans of the discredited management about to be thrown out may not be implemented as their fans and associates expect.

Let's wait and see.

14. Mark Lopez

Mark Lopez Just click ignore

Jan 1, 2000
    Hondo TX
    The way I see it, new customers are pretty much getting the HR20. As DirecTV rolls out more HD channels (in mpeg4 of course) many existing Tivo users will switch just to get the extra channels. Next, the national mpeg2 channels will go away compelling many more Tivo holdouts to switch. At some point not too long after that, the remaining mpeg2 HD channels will bite the dust. Any remaining Tivo zealots will either continue to enjoy their HD OTA channels or make the switch.

And while I don't know just how long it will take, I see all of the mpeg2 feeds going away even if it means DirecTV has to give away a few million low end receivers. Therefore I predict that by 2010 the HR10 will be nothing more than boat anchor. :)

15. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    adjective : of a kind or style no longer current : OLD-FASHIONED <an obsolete technology>

No, diffinately obsolete. :D

16. Budget_HT

Budget_HT Heavy User (of TiVo)

Jan 2, 2001
    Renton, WA
    I did not mention timing in my post here.

My speculation is that we will continue to see a gradual, but accelerating migration away from MPEG-2 HD satellite channels. The DirecTV tradeoff is still having the new satellite capacity available versus the time and cost of changing out thousands of MPEG-2-only HD receivers still in use (both HD Tivo and non-DVR HD receivers).

In my case, most of what I record in HD is PBS and the major networks anyway, so the useful life of my HR10-250's might be much longer than it would be for others who watch and record the satellite-delivered HD channels. Also, I am lucky to live in an area where OTA reception is painless and reliable. Some folks are not so lucky in that regard.

17. RS4

RS4 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Indianapolis...
    And of course, who knows when Direct will start picking up all local HD's. That means OTA will be the only way for a while which the HR10-250 handles for me. I too like PBS, so that's one reason I'm waiting to see what happens before I decide to switch.

18. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Here's the definition of deprecated that applies here. The important part is the "phasing out":

deprecated
    adj. Said of a program or feature that is considered obsolescent and in the process of being phased out, usually in favor of a specified replacement. Deprecated features can, unfortunately, linger on for many years. This term appears with distressing frequency in standards documents when the committees writing the documents realize that large amounts of extant (and presumably happily working) code depend on the feature(s) that have passed out of favor.

19. joed32

joed32 New Member

Jul 9, 2005
    If it is it will be the best boat anchor you can find!

20. bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    For people concerned about the quality of their boat anchor, I guess.