Mpeg-4 dish install

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by CurtE, Jan 24, 2006.

1. CurtE

CurtE New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    SC
    Anyone have info on any limitations of install of the new mpeg-4 dish? Only reason I ask is because I spoke to an installer (he's yet to actually see or install the new dish in our market) who is fearful (because of size) of installing the new dish on a roof? He said he thought it would be more stable as a ground mount?

I don't think it is because he is lazy...he installed my phase-III dish on the roof and even came back a few months later to realign...at no charge or complaint?

I know I ran across some photos of a recent install of the new dish...I thought they showed it on a roof?

2. minorthr

minorthr Your Ad here

Nov 24, 2001
    Pa
    I know some people have been having it fastened directly to the top of the roof. My current dish is on the side of my house. I'm thinking when I got mpeg 4 I will probably have to move it to the ground.

3. andbye

andbye New Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Sacramento
    My triple LNB dishes have been installed with an under-eve mount fastened to exposed rafters because the roof is tile and the walls are stucco. Looks and works good. Pictures I have seen of the new 5 LNb dish show the under eve mount has the base attached to the wall. Looks bad and may present a problem with stucco, Is there an under-eve kit for the new dish that doesn't mount the base on the wall ??

4. IOTP

IOTP New Member

Aug 7, 2001
    Desert...
  5. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    Do you think the dish is sooooooo big it will rip off the entire roof in a windstorm or come crashing down into the attic one day ?
    :)

That's pretty funny.

6. andbye

andbye New Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Sacramento
    Thanks IOTP for the info and pics -- looks like a good solid mount. I can't go that way because I have gutters all around so have the current dish mounted on an exposed rafter under the eve with a curved tube. Since I have to contend with wife, Homeowners Association and installers; it is not pretty funny.
    Will try to find out if there is an under-eve kit specifically for the new 5 lnb dish

7. IOTP

IOTP New Member

Aug 7, 2001
    Desert...
    REMEMBER HOAs cannot FORBID you from having a DISH. If its the ONLY logical spot for you to receive a signal, and they don't like it, tough cookies. (Fax them the FCC ruling).

:)

8. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Installing the new AT9 5-LNB dish can be tricky. It's larger and heavier than the 3-LNB dish, and requires a signal meter to properly align reception of the MPEG4 satellite. Check out the installation videos here ....

http://www.solidsignal.com/dtvkuka/