MPEG-4 and 11.0n.B1-01-2-652

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by andrew1cohen, Feb 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. andrew1cohen

andrew1cohen New Member

Mar 3, 2011

Advertisements

Folks: I have a Tivo series 3, HD, 165 hours of HD, software recently updated to 11.0n.B1-01-2-652. Yesterday I called support -- They said i need a new Tivo. So does the TIVO support page.

Today I called sales and they said the above software update covers MPEG-4.

It looks from the threads here that I am indeed covered. Also, Amazon and Netflix work fine on this TIVO.

Can someone from Tivo confirm this is correct? That my Tivo Series3 HD with the above software update will work fine when Comcast upgrades to MPEG-4?

Second question: Even if it does work, is TIVO offering an upgrade path to the Bolt?

2. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    It works fine. Tivo calls your unit Tivo HD, not series 3 HD. The series 3 unit, the original model isn't getting new software. Your

3. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    The HD with 11.0n will record and playback MPEG4 so it will work fine when Comcast upgrades to MPEG4. Note that you won't be able to transfer MPEG4 TV shows to your PC though so if you need that functionality, you'll want to upgrade or add a newer TiVo (Premiere or newer) that allows TS transfers (you can transfer an MPEG4 show from an HD to a newer TiVo and then transfer it to your PC also).

Look at post 90 in this thread for upgrade options that someone was given.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=529140

You might ask if you can get the loyalty deal if it's still being offered which was a Roamio Pro for $600.

Oh and the TiVo support page shows that the HD and HDXL models will be compatible with the update.

https://support.tivo.com/SupportPortalArticleViewPage?artURL=/articles/Features_Use/Comcast-Transitioning-to-MPEG4-in-Select-Markets

Scott

4. andrew1cohen

andrew1cohen New Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Thanks. The support page is pretty confusing:

"TiVo HD and TiVo HD XL: TiVo has implemented a software update which will bring MPEG-4 capability to TiVo HD DVRs. Active HD/HDXL customers can expect this update sometime during the week of 1/17/16.

TiVo Series3 HD: IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUIRED! These DVRs will lose all HD cable channels."

Not at all clear that a "TIVO Series3 HD" is a TIVO HD. Maybe Tivo could clarify the page and avoid a lot of confusion :)

Thank you again!!

5. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002

Advertisements

Assuming you are quoting correctly, it looked like they're using "HD" in "Series3 HD" to mean high definition rather than the HD model and I agree that would be confusing.

6. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    It's not at all confusing to those of us who paid attention to the names of the units in question, it makes perfect sense with the names Tivo called those 3 units upon release.
    They're not saying the
    in fact quite the opposite.

7. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Where it gets confusing it when people don't strictly adhere to (and often don't know about) the "official" names, and about TiVo having used HD in the name of the first S3 (almost making it sound like there was a preceding non-HD S3) and then not using Series 3 in the names of the HD and HD XL, even though they're also S3 platform units.

8. andrew1cohen

andrew1cohen New Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Its hard to imagine that TIVO expects me to know that a Tivo Series 3 HD and a Tivo HD that SAYS series 3 under system information are different.

I was ready to buy a new Bolt -- now i don't have to -- actually kinda bummed!

Thanks everyone for your info:)

9. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Are you sure Amazon works on a Tivo HD?

10. tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2006
    doesn't work on mine

11. achalupa

achalupa Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Amazon doesn't work on S3/HD because the app was download only (no steaming). Only S4 or greater had the streaming version of the Amazon app.

12. anonymoususer

anonymoususer New Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Doesn't work on mine either. How are you initiating a download?

13. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I'm not. It doesn't work.

14. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    Maybe the OP means videos purchased on Amazon, and downloaded prior to Amazon being removed from 3 gen units, can still be played.

15. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Agreed, and each "Series" (of any product for that matter) has more than one model or iteration, and that is pretty well known. The monikers "HD" and HDXL" does differentiate from the original S3 648.

16. writerchad

writerchad New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    been trying to force an software update on my Tivo HD

This thread mentions the latest update is 11.0n.B1-01-2-652

Mine seems stuck at 11.0m-01-2-652

Currently I can not receive the MPEG4 channels. :mad:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  17. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Who is your cable provider as it sounds like they've only pushed it to Comcast users so far, but you can call and ask them to add your TiVo to the list to get the update. Some FIOS users here have reported success with this.

Scott

18. writerchad

writerchad New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Comcast is my cable provider.

Should I call Tivo to request my unit get updated?

19. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    If you have MPEG4 I definitely would. If not, your decision since it doesn't really do anything for you at this point other than getting you ready for when Comcast moves to MPEG4 in your area. Then again, it might be best to do it now while it's recent and Support seems to know how to handle it. :)

Scott

20. gimmesomecoffee

gimmesomecoffee New Member

Feb 27, 2016
    I have a TIVO HD and I'm in an area where Comcast switched to mpeg4 for some HD. When Comcast switched, I lost some of my HD channels. I didn't go for TIVO's upgrade offer to the (??) unit, as that upgrade would have set me back something like $600 (not a great 'solution'). Then TIVO software upgraded to 11.0n.B1-01-2-652 which gave me back those HD channels.

But now those same HD channels now have a funny "freeze" problem. The video freezes, audio continues for approx 10 seconds then also freezes. I see this only on the same HD channels I lost when Comcast switched to mpeg4, and not on "live" broadcasts (like sports) which I understand are not broadcast in the mpeg4 format. I've seen one other recent post of exactly this same problem. I hope TIVO is able to identify it and resolve it.