MP4 Equivalent of old DirectShowDump Software?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by vasilemj, Dec 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. vasilemj

vasilemj Member

Jul 2, 2002
    Chicago, IL

Advertisements

Back in the day, there used to be an old program called DirectShowDump (TiVoDecode was another) that would quickly and easily remove the TiVo header and leave you with a MPEG2 file. With the majority of cable companies now broadcasting in MP4, I'm wondering if there is a MP4 equivalent floating around out there that would be just as seamless. I'm trying to quickly and easily get these recordings to my iPad but I'm finding myself having to "convert" the videos using various software which is time intensive. I figure if the file is already in a MP4 format I should, theoretically, just need to remove the TiVo header and have a viable MP4 file I can import into iTunes. Am I right or am I oversimplifying it?

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Actually, DirectShow Dump still works for this, and may even be the most reliable solution. You won't get an MP4, but rather, a transport stream with H.264 video. (This is easily remuxed to an MP4 with a tool like FFmpeg.) You have to download in transport stream mode (which TiVo Desktop calls "fast mode").

3. jalind

jalind John

Feb 27, 2005
    Terra, 3rd...
    I just encountered this after discovering today that Comcast had converted most of the HD channels to MPEG4. Spent an enormous amount of time sorting out why the older of the two series 3 boxes, a model 648 "Series 3 HD" was no longer receiving all but a handful of HD channels on Comcast. To add to the confusion, I've got a newer series 3, a model 658 "TiVo HD XL" and it had no problems, nor did my series 4 Premiere XL (model 748). After figuring out what was going on . . . and learning the 648's are not being updated for MPEG4 (the 652 and 658 are which is why mine was working) . . . I tried an experiment downloading what I knew would be a recording from an MPEG4 channel. Exact same thing. If you don't download in "fast mode" all you'll get is the audio stream and the file will be about 1/10th the size it should be (as there's no video stream). The video stream inside these Comcast MPEG4 channel files is H.264 with AC3 audio. Working now on the means to deal with that. DSD will deliver a ".mpg" file but it's not MPEG2, it's H.264 MPEG4. VidoRedo, which was, and probably still is, one of the best methods to unwrap an MPEG2 .tivo file chokes on the MPEG4 and returns an error message that it cannot handle H.264/AVC video (it wasn't made to handle it). Working now on a good alternative to do what VideoRedo did or to convert it into an MPEG2 transport stream VideoRedo can handle.

John

4. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Upgrade to VideoRedo TVSuite that support H.264.

Scott

jalind and lew like this.
  5. jalind

jalind John

Feb 27, 2005
    Terra, 3rd...

Advertisements

I just did . . . after a couple experiments using the "trial version" and it can do the same with the TiVo MPEG4 HD recordings that VideoReDo Plus did (and still does) with the MPEG2 HD recordings. Had to fuss a bit with the specific output settings to find the MP4 settings that would pass through the video and audio streams without transcoding as it's got many output options compared to VideoReDo Plus, but once found, they work very well! The huge benefit of VidoeReDo Plus and TVSuite is the utility to find the commercial segments. Still requires some tweaks for the portion to be cut, but it makes the process of excising the commercials much easier.

John

6. jalind

jalind John

Feb 27, 2005
    Terra, 3rd...
    I did this using DSD on a Comcast MPEG4 recording. It spits out a file with a ".mpg" extension which is a wrapper containing H.264 video and AC3 audio and I could play it as well as the .tivo file using WMP 12 (in Win7). I tried TsRemux and tsMuxerGUI without any happiness on the DSD output. Didn't try FFmpeg. Both can be manipulated using VRD TVSuite after which tsMuxerGUI could demux and remux them into a .ts (and presumably an m2ts if desired).

7. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    It's already a transport stream. Just rename it.

jalind likes this.
  8. jalind

jalind John

Feb 27, 2005
    Terra, 3rd...
    Just did that . . . renamed the .mpg extension to .ts and both TsRemux and tsMuxerGUI were much, much happier! Thanks.

John