Moving to UK

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by wbhambone, Jan 18, 2006.

1. wbhambone

wbhambone New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    Ft. Worth
    I'm moving from the US to Cardiff, Wales in the next couple of months. Does anyone know if my stateside Tivo will work in Wales (I'm assuming no, but thought I would ask).

Also, in the UK do you have the Home Media Option available?

Thanks

bh

2. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    No and yes, in that order :)

I think US Tivos can be hacked to work as a dumb recorder, with PAL hacks and stuff, but you will not be able to get EPG data. UK Tivos are still available but, as you probably know, only the Series 1 so it's quite a backwards step, I'm afraid and there's no Home Media Option, whatever that is :(

Although I don't have it myself, I understand that MCE works perfectly acceptably over here as an alternative to a Series 1 Tivo. There's a thread in our General discussion area that you might like to read.

3. wbhambone

wbhambone New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    Ft. Worth
    Nevermind...silly question about it working (forgot about the whole PAL & NTSC) thing.

My other question is still there about Home Media Option.

And, on Tivo's site looking at a pic of the back I noticed no USB port. Is a wireless connection supported (instead of phone line). If so, how is the connection made?

Thanks again.

bh

4. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Networking your UK Tivo is a hack-job and requires either a Cachecard or a Turbonet card; much like the US Series 1's, as I understand it :)

Check-out www.tivoheaven.com for UK-specific prices, etc. That said, I suppse you could always buy one from 9thTee or whoever, if their comparative price is cheaper :D (Sorry, BL ;))

5. b166er

b166er New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    Brit in...
    No, we don't get the Home Media Option on UK Tivos. The UK only offers Series 1 TiVo's, I think HME is a season 2 + feature. It basically offers the extra features that MCE has (photos, music etc).

6. programx

programx TiVo Tamer

Oct 2, 2002
    Isle of Man
    I feel embarrassed!

7. b166er

b166er New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    Brit in...
    I feel confused (you didn't post anything in this thread).

8. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    I think he meant wrt the fact that we don't have as good a Tivo units here as they do over in the US so, in coming into the UK, our US friend will essentially be "downgrading". Something like that, I guess :)

9. b166er

b166er New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    Brit in...
    :eek: :eek: you're probably right. We're living in the dark ages over here :) Since getting networked though and with all the good hacks, I feel our Series 1 TiVo's are well pimped. Possibly more interesting than a basic S2 model even.

10. wbhambone

wbhambone New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    Ft. Worth
    Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll be checking out how to hack a tivo.

bh

11. programx

programx TiVo Tamer

Oct 2, 2002
    Isle of Man
    Carl was right ;)

My pimped up TiVo deserves a fur coat to bolster its ego.

12. hatchejd

hatchejd New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    No need for you to fel embarrassed programx, seeing as you're not in the United Kingdom!